House Smart Appraisal

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

TinaWynn

House Smart Appraisal

Post by TinaWynn » Fri May 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Hello...

I purchased a House Smart home back in 2000. I'm trying to have an appraisal completed. In 2002 an appraisal was done & there was a clause stating the House Smart homes built in Killeen, Texas were considered Modular (frame on). I just had an appraisal completed in March and they stated is was considered a Modular but because of circumstances I had to have another appraisal complete just this week and they are stating its a Manufactured Home. This is a clause in my apprisal:

On Feb 8, 2002, The House Smart plant located in Kelleen, Texas was certified as a Modular Home Manufacturer (frame on). According to Marshall & Swift Residential Handbook modular homes can generally be priced using site built housing costs.

Does anyone know anything about this? The manufacturer is not longer in business and i'm not for sure how I can prove the statement?

any advice?

rmurray

Re: House Smart Appraisal

Post by rmurray » Fri May 06, 2011 11:06 pm

The "Smart House" was a true modular home built by Oakwood Homes in TX...These homes would have been certified by your states government and there should be a certification certificate posted somewhere near the panel box..This certificate should be all that is needed by your appraiser. There has been some confusion about on frame mods and there may well be some specific appraisal rules for them. There have been substantial changes in the mortgage business in the last few years and appraisers are under substantial stress..A manufactured home will have a HUD label on it...Good luck..remember homes of all sorts nationally have gone down by large percentages and yours would not likely be an exception...

Eddie J

Post by Eddie J » Sat May 07, 2011 7:56 am

I have an on frame modular in NJ. There is a label under my kitchen sink that certifies that the house is an "Approved Modular Unit." This approval is by the state of NJ and has a serial number. There is no HUD label, as the house was built to the then current (1990) "BOCA" code. Maybe you have the same label under your kitchen sink. On my panel box, there is a label that states the home can't ever be moved again, once set.

TinaWynn

Post by TinaWynn » Mon May 09, 2011 9:16 am

I do not have anything that states its a modular. Under my sink it is the information stating its a manufactured home and there is nothing on my panel box. how can I acquire this information to post it in the home?