granite in kitchen

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

paintnut

granite in kitchen

Post by paintnut » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 am

have a 14x80 Fleetwood home 1996. Have made improvements, we own the land. Now i want to upgrade the kitchen with new cabinets and counters. Home improvement places tell me not to get laminate counters because it's cheaper to get granite now. I'm just concerned about the weight of granite. I have a centerl island which would be the biggest piece 37x 92". Do you think that would be a problem? also the cabinets would be heavier I think. Please advise. Thank you

David Oxhandler

Re: granite in kitchen

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:53 am

While granite is very heavy the weight per Square Foot of the granite is going to be considerably less than per sq ft then the weight of the fridge in your kitchen, or the weight per sq ft that the floor holds up for most people you know. It is doubtful that you will have any problems.

My son moved a huge gun safe in a closet of his 1984 manufactured home. The thing must have been over 400 pounds. After four years there have been no problems. In the immortal words of my friend Mr Murray ... Go for it !!!
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

paintnut

Post by paintnut » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm

I'm assuming you think the cabinetry will be ok also? I worry about the weight on the walls too. I guess I shouldn't because it's supposed to be 2x6 studs but I have a "mobile home" mentality even tho i know better! I lve my home but other people always bive me a problem about it not being "standard" construction. Thanks so much for your help! This site is awesome!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

The only thing mobile about your is in its popular name (mobile home) The modern manufactured home is designed for one trip to its permanent site and it is becoming very rare that one is moved a second time.

With 2x6 construction and a shingled roof over a truss system Your home is as substantial well built and strong as any framed structure being built today. Factory-constructed homes are strong, durable, quality-crafted with easy-care exterior materials. Factory-constructed manufactured homes are built to a tough Federal code. These homes are crafted to rigid standards of fit and finish by skilled workers using all the finest materials,

The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles released a report after the state's four hurricanes that showed that factory-built homes built to the new tougher codes did not suffer any major damage from the storms.

The Florida Bureau of Manufactured Home and RV Construction surveyed 11,800 homes in 77 communities in seven counties in the path of Hurricane Charley. All homes installed to the new 1999 tie-down regulations stood firm on their foundations. A vast majority of the pre-1994 homes that sustained damage were as a results of more vulnerable post-factory attachments.

Watch this video and toss out that "mobile home' mentality. You made a wise decision in your home purchase.

David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Eddie J

Post by Eddie J » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:55 pm

I have a manufactured home built in 1990 & for at least 15 years I had a queen-sized water bed. I'm sure that weighs a whole lot more than granite counter tops.

arv99t

Post by arv99t » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:48 pm

Rest assured we have granite in ours, custom cabinets, and an island as well. Its been in place for about a year and hasn't fallen in yet.