chemical smell coming from cabinet under kitchen sink

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

gkinard

chemical smell coming from cabinet under kitchen sink

Post by gkinard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:12 pm

I have new Legacy manuf. home. Have very strong chemical smell coming from cabinet under kitchen sink. Have tried several items that "guarantee odor removal". I currently have 3 boxes of baking soda under there, but its not helping. Any ideas?

David Oxhandler

Re: chemical smell coming from cabinet under kitchen sink

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:15 pm

Have you checked under the home?
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

gkinard

Post by gkinard » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:21 pm

under home is fine. Its just the one cabinet that has it. I do have a disposal and dishwasher. Could it be something with one of those?

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:53 pm

It is probably an auto vent under the counter. It is a one way valve that lets air into your sewer line to help it drain. They are supposed to close to block sewer gas from coming into the home..It is not unusual for new construction trash to have clogged the auto vent.If you are still under warranty, call your dealer and have him check it out...

gsmc

Post by gsmc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:18 pm

We just bought one from Legacy Jan. 2011 and we have that bad rubbery headache smell. I filed a complaint with the TDHousing due to all the problems my home had from the manufacturer. TDH and Legacy came and they are fixing all the issues and problems, new back door, etc.
But the dealer I bought it from in Midland,TX NATIONWIDE they just kept ignoring me so I filed a complaint.
NOONE can figure out the smell, it is not under the trailer or in the cabinet. Amonia and water don't work as per Nationwide. I get a headache from it and keep it closed.
My daughter said "it could be the rubber under the sink bowl", I don't know. It could be the dishwasher. I have tried everything and even leaving it open and still does not work.
They changed the rubber next to the wall and nothing. I hate that smell. Please let me know if you find out how to get rid of it.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:28 pm

1- Is there an auto-vent (also called check vent) under the sink?

2- Has it been changed out?

If you constantly smell sewer gases underneath your sink, then your check vent may not be closing properly and should be replaced. A check vent that is not preventing sewer lines fumes from venting back into your home could very well be the cause of your distress.

Replacing a check vent is often overlooked but is one of the easiest and least expensive home repairs you can make. See What is A Plumbing Check Vent? This article will show you a photo of a check vent and tell you how to trouble shoot and replace it.

Replacements are very inexpensive and can be found in most home improvement stores or you can order online at The Mobile Home Parts Store

It sounds like the dealer and builder have been cooperative and responsive to your situation. Let the factory service manager know you found this forum and post which has given you some comfort in as much as you are NOT the only Legacy home buyer that is reporting this problem.

Ask them how often this problem comes up and how they have resolved it in the past.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

gsmc

Post by gsmc » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey I found out what it is online. Here is the website I found it under.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/12 ... -sink.html
I rubbed the under sink padding and sure enough that is the smell. Now I will email TDH and Legacy, since I solved the problem. Good luck. This is what they said:
Thanks guys, it is definately the insulation pads, I rubbed them with my hands and smelled it and yuck the smell was definately coming from there, we put baking soda boxes under the cabinets and closed them up. When we move in, if it still smells then we are scraping them off or painting over them. I promise that smell has got to be harmful in some way.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/12 ... z1O5gi6ci7

More than likely-
It's the asphalt sound-deadening pad(s) on the underside of the sink. This is not the first time I've heard this complaint- and won't be the last.
Some sink manufacturers have gotten away from the asphalt pads and use other alternatives for sound deadening.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/12 ... z1O5hNz3br

I had exactly the same issue after our kitchen was remodeled. We had a stainless steel sink installed and there was a very strong chemical type odor coming from the cabinet. After looking at everything (the wood, adhesive, caulk, AAV valve, etc.) finally found that it was the sound dampening pads on the bottom of the sink. They are made from tarry, asphalt type material and emit an odor. Not all sinks use the cheap type like this and many manufacturers have upgraded the sound dampening material to they type that doesn't smell.

I wound up scraping the sound dampening pads off and used a strong commercial type adhesive remover to get the residual mateial and adhesive used to stick them on off the sink. The sink is now louder when I run water but I will be putting some cork on the bottom and that should help.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/12 ... z1O5hYYsKr

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:13 am

Ahhh !!

Thanks for letting us know what you found. I'm glad that the problem is not manufactured housing unique but caused by the maker of the kitchen sink using a sound dampening material that should not be inside a home.

Today is a good day 'cause I learned something new.

thanks again
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks David. This might Ben the cause of the smell we sometimes get in our middle bathroom and my son gets in his master bath. I'll check it out tomorrow.

sinkguy

Post by sinkguy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:34 pm

The odor you are smelling is from the use of inferior padding on the underside of the kitchen sink. many sinks in the industry are coming in with a rubber pads on them that are sub par and are loaded with petroleum. If you run hot water does the smell get stronger? If yes its the pads..its a known problem that companies like to keep to themselves. You can visit this website www.mysinkstinks.com they sell sets of pads so you can fixthis and get rid of the odor once and for all. Hope this helps you.