buying a water damaged home

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

kellie

buying a water damaged home

Post by kellie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:53 am

Just want someones opinion. I found a 2 year old 32 x 90 doublewide that is a repo that is only 2 years old for only 80 thousand. My issue is that it sat on a lot for 6 months broken apart and has extensive water damage. alot of the ceiling has to be replaced due to to mold and some that has fallen down. there are cracks in the drywall everywhere. the end laundry room has a bowed door and mold. the dealer will fix all the drywall and put in new carpet and vinyl etc. do you think this is worth the savings to purchase or do you think the water damage will cause problems down the road? Its a tough call...it was an expensive home when new and has a great floor plan.....I am sooo scared!!The home is a deer valley. what would you do???

David Oxhandler

Re: buying a water damaged home

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:12 am

I would not make a commitment on a home 80K that has extensive water damage. Tell the dealer you will select and bring in a mold inspector at your own cost after the home is fully repaired.

There are literary thousands of pre-owned manufactured homes that have been repossessed or foreclosed in every market across America. Prices are ridiculously low. We are located in Florida. At this time here you can purchase a 5 year old doublewide, in excellent condition, AND THE LAND it sits on for a lot less than 80K.

Check out our FORECLOSURES FOR SALE SECTION to get an idea of what is available near you.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:20 am

I'd run away from this "deal." For 80k you can get a new home. Not that size or manufacturer but a decent home. Then there are a lot of good used homes out there. No, I'd pass on this, especially considering the mold issue. Oh and if the floors are Novladeck or Cresdeck instead of OSB or plywood they are probably ruined as well.

kellie

Post by kellie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:07 pm

yeah....good points...thanks for your opinion! I think maybe it would be better to have a mortgage loan on a new one for the difference I guess....woulda been nice to save the money but not worth it!

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:31 pm

Looks like you are about to do the right thing..I would have had 0 trust in a dealer who allowed this disaster to happen on his lot. Find another dealer to talk to..