Improvements and Taxes

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

73driver

Improvements and Taxes

Post by 73driver » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I was wondering if I was to put a mobile home on land, then improve the MH dramatically if I would have to pay taxes on those improvements. I mean, put a HUGE addition on it and upgrade everything until there is almost nothing left of the thing except the frame and wheels, or something like that.

rmurray

Re: Improvements and Taxes

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:08 pm

You will get the best answer from your local tax officials..most likely additions will be taxed but new carpet, cabinets, windows, doors and other improvements will not..

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:08 pm

Real estate taxed are based on the value of the property. The greater the value of the property the higher the taxes.

Most county property assessors reassess every parcel in the county as often as annually. If you make obvious improvements, that increase the value of your property, the property tax will surly go up.

The question is how much is a better place to live worth to you? Call your tax assessor's office and let them know your plans. In order to estimate your new tax amount they will ask you how much you intend to spend to make the improvements. Be prepared to give a reasonable estimate, so you can get a realistic estimate.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

73driver

Post by 73driver » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:18 am

Thanks

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Depending on where you live, your income, and your age, you may be able to freeze the assessment on your property.
For example; I live in Bossier Parish (county) Louisiana, am over 65, with an income of less than $60,000.00 a year. In 2010 I was able to freeze my property tax at $250 a year, which was the amount of the 2010 tax. Even if I make property improvements, the tax will remain at that level. The only thing that can increase or decrease the tax would be a change to them millage rate.
As Murray and David said, check with your local tax assessors office. Every county has different rules. Oh, and depending on what improvements you are planning you may need a building permit that you must obtain from the county.