Mobile home dilemma

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

calliffy2

Mobile home dilemma

Post by calliffy2 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:22 pm

I purchased a mobile home 4 years ago from a private seller which I paid cash for. Unfortunately, I can no longer afford my lot rent ($355 mo.) AND my house payment. I have to keep my house as I have a son living with me and need the room. We both lost our jobs and I have since developed health issues. What are my options here? The mobile is in a lovely park setting (where it was located when I bought it) just off Lake Huron in Lexington, Michigan. The economy being what it is, I have hardly had any prospects as far as a buyer goes. I have to do something soon as I am running out of money. The home was constructed in 1965, is 12X65, 2 bdrms, 1 bath, nice size kitchen with food bar separating kitchen and living room which is ample in size. Patio on side and deck on front, also has shed in back. Very good condition and really cute. Walk to lake in under a minute! Any information or options would be greatly appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Re: Mobile home dilemma

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Moving a home built in 1965 will be expensive. In most states you will find it difficult to get permits to install a home that was built, in the 60s, prior to the adoption of the HUD code that regulates modern manufactured home construction.

This is a very tough time to try to sell any residence. There is no shortage of folks looking to purchase a home BUT there is an extreme shortage of financing today for any type home. If you offer owner financing you might just find a buyer. Alternatively you might be able to rent your home due to the exceptional location.

I understand that both of these options are difficult if you have never done this before. But you need to make every move possible to not loose your investment. .

As part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP) was created to provide financial assistance and services to either prevent individuals/families from becoming homeless or help those who are experiencing homelessness to be quickly re-housed and stabilized. Contact The Michigan State Housing Development Authority Office of Rental Development and Homeless Initiatives PHONE - 517.241.1609

Please come back here let us know if they help, so others in your position can also benefit.

Best of luck
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

calliffy2

Post by calliffy2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 pm

I am responding to the message sent to me from Mr. Oxhandler. I did contact MI. State Housing Dev. Auth. at the number you provided. Unfortunately, they are unable to assist me as this is not my primary home. She did say I may be able to give the mobile back to the park. I hope so because we have new park owners who just yet again, raised the lot rent. If I don't sign a years lease, I will have to pay $385 a month! ($365 if I go month by month.) If I can't afford $355, the current amount, how am I suppose to do this? I am at my wits end - there has to be a solution to this. Help!!

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Ask the park if they want to buy it. You may have to sell it at a loss, but if you don't do it and can't pay the lot rent, they will put a lean on the home and could end up owning it anyway.