roof vents

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

04ranger

roof vents

Post by 04ranger » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:22 pm

I have a 2004 Clayton modular home. In the winter it is usually comfortably warm until the wind blows. I don't feel any drafts, the windows are double glazed, I've installed new storm doors yet when the wind is blowing which is quite often in the mountains of NC it just does not seem to hold the heat. Could this be due to the large vents on the roof as well as the soffit vents? Can the roof vents be blocked off? Would it be safe to say bag them or do they make vents that would close below a certain temp like the ones they make for the foundation. I am assuming that the roof venting is the culprit but I might be on the wrong track altogether. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David Oxhandler

Re: roof vents

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Clayton builds a solid home. This is not a commonly occurring problem.

Most roof vents are there for a good reason. Some vent the homes drain lines and covering them could cause sewer back up. Others help remove moisture from your home that might otherwise cause mold.

DO you know what each vent is for? Your problem could be a fireplace or furnace with the stack flu stuck open or a furnace with a missing or defective damper. (the damper closes off the duct system from back drafts down the stack)

Most local power companies offer free home energy audits, comprised of a visual inspection. That could include identifying energy hogging appliances as well as leaky windows, air ducts and areas where insulation is lacking. If that is not available to you bring in a home heat/air contractor to help determine where the heat loss is. Winter is on the way.......

The free utility audits give homeowners ideas on how to save energy, but detailed fee-based energy audits can potentially save homeowners 30 percent or more on energy costs. Paying for themselves many times over.

You can read more about MH furnace maintenance and troubleshooting at www.mobilehomerepair.com
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:41 am

DO NOT cover roof vents in the winter. That is when they are most needed. Winter air is cold and dry while the air in your home is warm and damp. Any space outside of the insulation has to stay cold and dry or else you get condensation.

04ranger

Post by 04ranger » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 am

The vents in question are four large attic vents but the response from trmimo answers my original question. I will check with my utility company for an energy audit. Now for another question. I replaced the original oil furnace with a new heat pump this summer. The furnace stack was sealed and closed off. The air handler has been installed underneath the house to reduce the noise from the equipment fan. The return has been installed in the closet where the original furnace was. The unit works very well and is very quiet. My question now is; does the duct that was attached to the old furnace that runs up to the attic (approx. 8" dia. flex) need to remain? I believe it was used to bring in fresh air for combustion, I have it sealed off now. Thanks for your help.

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:19 am

The duct should be opened up. This is a fresh air make up duct. It should be open into the return air supply. The purpose of this duct is to allow fresh air to come in to the house to replace the air exhausted by vent fans in the kitchen and baths. This is important for maintaining air quality. The heat pump may be the source of your original question. Heat pumps typically blow cooler air than furnaces, especially when it is cold and windy which causes them to run a lot more than a furnace. Hold your hand in front of a heat register, you may notice the air is only 10 or 15 degrees warmer than the air in the house.

Joana_01

Post by Joana_01 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:16 pm

When I bought a house in Rancho Palos Verdes, I hired Rancho Palos Verdes Home Inspector Service to get my home inspected. They checked each and everything in house including roof and ceiling.