Separating A Manufactured Home

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Terri Jones

Separating A Manufactured Home

Post by Terri Jones » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 am

Hi,

Was wondering if any one knows of any information out there concerning separating a double wide Manufactured home...or if you have experience would you mind giving us some tips, things to look out for...

Thanks you,
Terri

David Oxhandler

Re: Separating A Manufactured Home

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Even if you want to do most of the work yourself, you would be wise to have someone that has experience directing the operations. It is no fun watching a MH section roll away from you and less fun if it crushes body parts.

Most installed homes have no wheels or axles under them. In order to take the sections apart running gear must be installed. If there are existing wheels and axles they are most likely not still in condition to be of any use and will need to be replaced.

Once the wheels are in place there is a step by step procedure of jacking and blocking that must be followed. This can require several jacks and possibly rolling equipment to move the sections apart from each other.

The big thing you want to watch for, even on new wheels, that home can easily fall while you are taking it apart, if it is not supported correctly every step along the way. One missed step can do damage to the home and serious injury to anyone under or next to the home.

These operations are best left to experienced, home installers. Every state in the country now requires licensing for manufacture home installers so it should be easy to find one near you.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Terri Jones

Post by Terri Jones » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Thank you,

I'll look into hiring a pro as a supervisor..I take it that there isn't a manel or any printed info on the procedure..My husband has a good idea how it's done and is very capable of doing the work himself..He said something about supporting the home by the tongue with a loader while using an I bean and rollers.
He also said he wasn't going to put the wheels on the axels?? That part might be wrong by your discription...should he put the wheels on the axels before separating..

Thanks for all your help.
Terri

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:59 pm

Why are you taking the home apart?

Unless your plan is to demolish it you better put wheels and axles under it.

Please take the following very seriously.

Supporting the home by the tongue with a loader while using an I beam and rollers is a prescription for certain damage to the home, injury and possible death..... seriously!!

You CAN NOT move a MH except in the manner it was designed to be moved. You can not move a home supported at the hitch with a loader. Movement MUST be from the hitch on a hitch ball. Using a loader without a hitch to bully a home into place WILL bend the hitch and frame.

If you don’t remove the foundation support correctly (and don’t put the home on wheels) when you roll it with regular roller/beam system, there is little doubt that you will minimally bend the frame out of shape... If not break it.... and rack the wooden frame of the home, possibly beyond repair.

Manufactured Homes are designed to be moved on wheels and axles. The weight of the structure is engineered for movement only when supported by the axles and wheels. When the weight is take off the foundation and returned to the steel frame it MUST be supported by the wheels axles and hitch.

I have seen a doublewide home moved a few hundred feet on wheels and axles with the sections still together, pulled BEHIND 2 tractors. This took several hours of pre-planed movements of by a 5 man team that assembles and installs homes daily.

This is not a good week end do-it-yourself project. If you are planning on using the home after you move it the cost of a professional will save you a lot of money and grief. Regardless of how handy your husband is I'm sure he would think it unwise to try to do any job with out the right tools.

This is an operation that requires planning, that will depend on site conditions. MH sections are rolled using specialized roller systems. You need someone with experience and access to the right tools and equipment.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:10 am

David is absolutely right. This is not a do it your self job! It is very dangerous work and myriad things can go wrong. More things than can even be listed in the limited space here. Even if no one gets hurt, your home will be damaged. You need an experienced installer for this job. This cannot be overemphasized!

Terri Jones

Post by Terri Jones » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:40 pm

No need to worry, we have hired a professional mover to help us separate the home...
Thank you for your advise...
Terri