Buying from a private seller

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

FlyingEagle

Buying from a private seller

Post by FlyingEagle » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi all, This is my first time buying a mobile home. First question is.Should I bring in a realtor work on my behave is it worth the extra cost? And is mobile homes subject to disclosure when they sell there home?

jtart51

Re: Buying from a private seller

Post by jtart51 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Depends on whether you are buying a home in a park or on land. Park transactions like buying a car. Have a home inspection done unless and possibly even if you are sure it has no unknown problems. If financing and you can get a loan other than a signature loan it will likely have to be appraised. Be aware that loans for mobile homes are higher than for stick built. I am not an expert but I am on my fourth one now. I have never had any major problems with a mobile home I have lived in...water line leaks from spickets and shut off valves, air conditioner service issues, one bathroom fan that burned out. Water is your worst enemy so look carefully for signs of previous and current leaks!

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:23 pm

If the home is located in a park, do your research not only on the home but on the park as well. Be aware of all the park rules and regulations and talk to current park residence. Make yourself aware of both the good and bad points of living in a park as opposed to having a MH on your own land.
Also, as the other poster said, you should have the home inspected by a reputable inspector who is familiar with manufactured homes. A few dollars spent on an inspection can save you lots of grief and aggravation as well as thousands of dollars in repairs.

johnjacobenglehimer

Post by johnjacobenglehimer » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:53 pm

we have had much trouble trying to find the vin number on our mobile home so we can appraise it we have manufacturers seriel number and model number the problem is the manufacture has bankrupt is there a way of finding the vin # some how with model,serial,rad #'s and yes we checked the mobile home inside and out its an 82 model

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:37 pm

The serial number is on the piece of steel that runs across the front of the home,that the hitch would be attached to. The number will be stamped into the steel.

You may have to remove rust to find it.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:09 pm

John, the VIN # IS the serial number..You already have the info you need....