Tiling a roof over shingles!

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Anthem Home

Tiling a roof over shingles!

Post by Anthem Home » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm

OK, I just bought my first Mobile Home, mostly due to it location! I want to steer away from the Mobile Home look to blend in with the area. Firstly to Stucco the home and then Clay Tile the roof! Here comes the question, Will the home support a Tile roof? can it be done? The shingles appear to be in great shape and this is a permanently affixed mobile now. Can any tell me if this is possible?
I beleive its a double wide built in 1985 I bought as a repo! in good shape overall
Thanks
Ben

David Oxhandler

Re: Tiling a roof over shingles!

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello Ben -

Manufactured home roofs are built to hold different loads in different parts of the country, based on anticipated snow volume. There should be a data-plate sticker in the home (usually in the master bedroom closet or glued to the inside of a kitchen or bath cabinet door) that shows the roof zone your home is built to.

Example of MH Data-Plate

Below is a map showing the loads that can be carried by manufactured homes being built today.

Roof load (live load) design is affected by the shape of the roof whether it is flat, curved or pitched. Roof loads are a downward (vertical) force on the home. The North Zone, Middle Zone and the South Zone are identified on the roof load zone map above. This downward imposed load on the home is also known as the snow load. The North Zone design live load equates to 40 pounds per square foot, the Middle Zone equates to 30 pounds per square foot, and the South Zone equates to 20 pounds per square foot. (Source: http://www.azchampion.com/roofloadzone.asp)

If you can not find the data-plate but know the serial number or can locate the red HUD tag on the rear side (as it would go down the road) you can get this info from The Institute for Building Technology and Safety (IBTS). You can submit a request online

You've got a lot of new choices today for manufactured home roof replacement. New engineered shingles are made to look like cedar or tile. Even metal roofs, the old standby for barns, have made a comeback with new colors, styles, and 50 year maintenance-free life expectancy. For more details read Time to do something about your Roof ? You have a lot of choices today in our article archive.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Anthem Home

Post by Anthem Home » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Thanks, I'll have to do some research.
I still wonder if anyone has done this before. My other thought was to build a new pitch on the front and use metal on the roof. My concern is I live in Arizona, 30 nrth of Phoenix. We get some good temps here, but no snow.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:00 pm

You just cant beat the standing seam metal roof. No exposed fasteners and a 50 year life expectancy. I live in Florida where we also get the high temps. I have installed several metal roofs on rental homes and the results have been excellent. We have never had a single problem.

This is the last one we installed

I am getting ready to install a standing seam roof on my home. It is half block home and half 1987 Fleetwood doublewide, that I married together, in an "L" shape by building a new plywood and shingle roof over both 20 years ago.

Due to the age and size of my home the cost of running the air all summer is getting outrageous. The plan is to lay an inch of foam insulation board down over the shingles and then screw the metal down over that, to get some added insulation from the suns heat intrusion and better contain of the cool inside air.

We get zero snow and the weight of the foam and metal are so slight that I have no worries about overloading the roof. I will post photos and details as the project progresses.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:31 am

Short answer is no. If you live in Arizona, the chances are very slim indeed that the house will support the weight of a clay tile roof. The dead weight weight of clay tile is greater than the roof load for the vast majority of manufactured homes. Or site built homes with shingled or metal roofs for that matter. Even to stucco the walls you will need to be sure the home is supported around the perimeter as stucco is also very heavy.

richard s

Post by richard s » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:08 am

Sorry to say, I doubt your roof will hold real clay tiles. However not all is lost, I am currently reroofing my home with a metal spanish tile from Berridge Manufacturing. There are other metal tiles that look like clay from other manufactures that your roof will support so shop around and you will find something. Just be ready for the sticker shock. It's not cheap.

Anthem Home

Post by Anthem Home » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Ahh yes, I have given some though to different options. I may need to clear some things here though, The home is a manufactured house, and was never trailered in and was built onsite from information Ive gathered. At the moment I'm looking at heading towards a cottage type look. The house from the most visible parts looks more like a house as its level with the ground and permanent affix and Block and concrete foundation. I'm looking at many pictures people have for design ideas. I'm hoping whatever I do for the roof I can just go directly over the shingles. I don't see the need to rip them off.
I really would like to find a way to cover the AC unit mostly, as it stands so high on the roof, Ugh!

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 pm

If the home was not rolled in on wheels it is not a manufactured home!
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

Anthem Home

Post by Anthem Home » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm kind of new to this forum thing so I don't know how to post a picture

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm

E-Mail it to me at [email protected] and Ill put it here for you.

By definaition a manufactured home is built in a facotry, on a steel frame and transported over the road to the home-site. If you have a facotry built home that was assembled in the field you may have a panalized house.

This is a Panelized Home Assembly

David Oxhandler
[email protected]