Karsten verses Oakcreek

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

sarahvch

Karsten verses Oakcreek

Post by sarahvch » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:51 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum and I searched through all of the old fields however most of the post I was abel to find on the above subjects were from 2004-06
We have been searching for months for a good solid home. I honestly never considered a mh but then I found a Kasten model that I love.
It seems like it is great quality and has the look I want. The issues I was concerned about (floor) are not issues with the particular model I am considering however my concern is this...
Almost all of the praise I find for Karsten was from years ago BEFORE Clayton purchased the company. I have found a ton of complaints about Clayton. My dealer assures me this is not a problem that I am dealing with Kasten.
Does anyone have a Kasten or are there dealers out there that have sold Karstens since Clayton purchased them that is satisfied and feel they got their moneys worth. I am wondering if the quality has changed... Why don't I see any praise for them that is newer?
We are also considering an Oakcreek home but honestly like the Kasten better.
Opinions and suggestions are welcome and appreciated!
We are located in Dallas Texas and have spent the last several months visiting dealers on a weekly basis and I am just exhausted.

trmimo

Re: Karsten verses Oakcreek

Post by trmimo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:51 am

Karsten has introduced some lower priced models since being acquired by Clayton. They have also benefited from using Clayton's money to buy better tooling and upgrade their factories. I would choose Karsten hands down over Oakcreek.

Celtlund

Post by Celtlund » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:35 am

I would suggest you purchase Grissim's books and read them twice before you decide on which home to buy. The books contain a ton of information and are well worth the price. I bought them and they were a tremendous help for me in finding a good quality home, at a good price, from a reputable dealer. Good luck in your search.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 am

The Manufactured Housing Book Store is running a Special 2 Book Offer on both of the best selling Grissim Manufactured Home Shopper's Guides
David Oxhandler
[email protected]