Alternative Energy for Mobile Homes

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

mlong30

Alternative Energy for Mobile Homes

Post by mlong30 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:39 am

Hi All,

Currently researching whats all involved in purchasing my first Mobile Home. Just purchased the books recommended here on the forum.

I can't find anything that talks about Alternative Energy for mobile homes. I would like to know other Alternative for electricity. Not sure if anyone using Solar or Wind turbines to power their mobile homes. Not sure if its cost effective.

I'd appreciate any feed back you can give.

Thanks.

Matt

admin

Re: Alternative Energy for Mobile Homes

Post by admin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:39 pm

Green building is just starting to get some attention from our manufactured home builders. Most are building to the Energy Star rating. Today's manufactured homes can range from 900 to more than 3,000 square feet. Manufactured homes cost 20 percent to 30 percent less per square foot than site built homes. Check out the various floor plans. Ask how much you can customize and what options are available for your home, and most importantly, learn all the construction features of each manufacturer.

Just about every builder today offers energy saving features, if not standard as options. Added insulation, upgraded windows, more efficient appliances are just the start. Clayton Homes recently launched production of its "I-House". This new line includs many "green" features, including solar panels and numerous other energy-saving products. Warren Buffett, wrote his shareholders. "Estimated costs for electricity and heating total only about $1 per day when the home is sited in an area like Omaha.

The "i-house's" metal v-shaped roof — inspired by a gas-station awning — combines design with function. The roof provides a rain water catchment system for recycling, supports flush-mounted solar panels and vaults interior ceilings at each end to 10 1/2 feet for an added feeling of openness. The Energy Star-rated design features heavy insulation, six-inch thick exterior walls, cement board and corrugated metal siding, energy efficient appliances, a tankless water heater, dual-flush toilets and lots of "low-e" glazed windows. To reduce your energy cost to the $30/mo range in any home today is a HUGE savings. To reach that savings the expensive features like solar panels are included but will bring up the price. I have looked into going solar at my home and the cost would be in the area of $40,000 just to retrofit this one feature. So, while you are starting out with a higher per sqft price than the low end manufactured home, the ultimate cost of ownership over the years you live in that home would be dramatically reduced. It is like that ad I just saw on TV that asks of you want the heartburn now or later? You can pay for green, energy-money savings features upfront or you can pay out more each month FOREVER. If you can take the initial hit the savings over the years will be significant. Clayton Homes plans to price the "i-house" at $100 to $130 a square foot, depending on amenities and add-ons, such as additional bedrooms. A stick-built house with similar features could range from $200 to $300 a square foot to start.
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]