roof load

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

richard s

roof load

Post by richard s » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:10 pm

I have a 2000 Saturn model 3215-A. The spec sheet states it has 30lb roof load trusses. Would that be live load or a total load of everything? I would like to reroof with a metal roof. The Perma-Roof roofover system goes over the shingles. It has 25 year Architectural Shingles with OSB decking. Half inch sheetrock on the ceiling. Is there a chance of long term overloading without a tearoff? I live in central Texas so ice and snow is really not a concern, but possible. Thanks for any help.

admin

Re: roof load

Post by admin » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:43 pm

We have overlaid several of our MH rentals with the metal roofing without removing the old shingles with no problems. The weight of the roofing metal is is very low per sq ft, You can also add a layer of foam board insulation under the metal if you are looking to improve energy efficiency.

Check out the rainbow roof system designed for manufactured homes at http://mobilehomeroofover.com
David Oxhandler
mailto:[email protected]

CHERITIPKEY

Post by CHERITIPKEY » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 pm

We are looking to locate the roof load of a 1997 skyline trailer, we have looked all over could someone please help us locate this. thanks cheri

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 pm

The load for most manufactured homes is transfered down thru the outer walls to the outriggers on to the main I Beams of the frame to the foundation below.

What is it that you want to do?
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

foundationcerts

Post by foundationcerts » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:11 am

Generally speaking, that roof load of 30 psf (pounds per square feet) is generally the live load, or in some areas, the snow load. The dead load is generally calculated seperately.

However, what you are seeing could be a combined (total) dead load plus live load. The live load could be 20 psf, and the dead load could be 10 psf.

Generally speaking most roofing materials (shingles) only weigh 2 to 4 psf; not much. The higher loads come from snow and equipment. I don't think your going to see much difference in overlaying the roof with slightly more material.
--
Ed Harrison, PE
Foundation Certifications
Engineer Permanent Foundation Certifications for FHA/HUD, and VA Loans
http://www.FoundationCerts.com

rbonnie

Post by rbonnie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:27 pm

The roof load for a manufactured home is designated on the data plate within the home. The 20/30/or 40 lb. load designated, is the live load applied downward on the horizontal projection as indicated in 3280.305
Roy T. Bonney

Anthem Home

Post by Anthem Home » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 pm

OK, I just bought my first Mobile Home, mostly due to it location! I want to steer away from the Mobile Home look to blend in with the area. Firstly to Stucco the home and then Clay Tile the roof! Here comes the question, Will the home support a Tile roof? can it be done? The shingles appear to be in great shape and this is a permanently affixed mobile now. Can any tell me if this is possible?
THanks
Ben

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Ben -

Just wrote an answer to this same question you posted earlier. See it at http://mfdhousing.com/phorum5/read.php?2,80289
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

JoeHC

Post by JoeHC » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi,
My Daughter just bought a Detroiter Pontiac Chief Home. As near as we can figure it was built between 1959 and 1965. We understand that the structure is probably past its expected life but she wants to try to live in it for several years to save money. The metal roof was replaced 6 years ago with a truss and shingle gable roof. My question is will the walls support the load of the roof? A second question is that the ceiling is a cardboard type material that is sagging that we want to remove and replace with dry wall. Will the walls support that additional weight and does the old ceiling possibly contain asbestous??

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:59 pm

That home was built prior to the adoption of the HUD code. As such It is very difficult to tell you much about it. Many of the mobile homes built back then were built to slight if any standards and have outlived their life expectancy. Others were built to be dragged cross country over the old roads that were in place prior to the interstate system and so were built like tanks.

If the roof was replace six years ago and has not collapsed the walls yet I would not worry much longer about it as long as it stays where it is. Moving it could be a problem. Even though the weight of the roof has not been a problem while stationary as soon as you start to move it the entire load dynamic shifts to the wheels and there is no telling what could go wrong.

About ten years ago I moved an old home with a retrofitted shingle roof. Everything was peaches and cream 'till we had to make the first turn. From that point forward the home was moved in small parts in a dumpster.

Without a plan of the structure there is no way to calculate what adding weight to the ceiling might do. I suspect that it would be ok but to be conservative I would replace with the ceiling board with a material of equal or less weight. See Manufactured Home Ceilings - Repairing or Rebuilding? in our article archive for some excellent ideas.

The old ceiling probably won't contain asbestos. I have worked on mobile homes of all ages and have never run into any asbestos, but my experience is primarily in homes that were built in the south east. Anything is possible in a structure that was built prior to standard building codes. Take a small sample to someone local that can test it and give you peace of mind.
David Oxhandler
[email protected]