2005 Homes OF Merit and VERY high energy costs

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

shelbygt

2005 Homes OF Merit and VERY high energy costs

Post by shelbygt » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:14 pm

We had our Homes Of Merit Lake City built to spec and have always experienced very high electric bills. We replaced a worn out 1968 mobile with this this new home. Our electric bills never went over 160 bucks in that non-insulated, leaky doors and windows, metal death trap. Only to move into a brand new, modern technology, highly optioned and energy efficient home that uses WAY more in electricity. We are desperately trying to find out why.
We live in central Fl. We have double pane thermal windows though out with R-30 in the ceiling, R-19 in the walls and R-11 in the floor. We also upgraded the water heater to a 50 gallon. The only thing that we screwed up on is the appliances are all the worst efficiency rating. I think we would have been better off getting a credit and buying our own.

Our problem is, this is a 1948 sq ft home with 2 adults and 2 kids (11 and 1 yr old) and we are spending 250.00 pr month on electric. Keep in mind that, we have a second electric hook up on the property that runs our well pump, water softener, washer and drier (85.00 per month), so that is not included in the 250.00 house electric bill. The statement says we used 2,151 kwh. in the house alone. Between Oct and Nov our usage was 1,244 kwh, this is the months the heat and/or no ac is used.
I believe the main problem is the air conditioner. It is a 10 seer Bryant split unit (4 ton I believe). I think since this was included with the home (as were all the appliances), they put the cheapest junk they could in the here.
Can anyone give us some advice on how to determine where the vacuum of electricity is going?
Thanks a bunch,
Dave

rmurray

Re: 2005 Homes OF Merit and VERY high energy costs

Post by rmurray » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:12 pm

It is hard to compare your old homes bill to this new home...As you said it is "modern technology, highly optioned". everything we do cost energy..Your winter bill seems about right..Most folks this time of the year use about what you are using...2100 KWH is NOT WAY out of line..Of course like all energy, the cost per KWH is higher today than it was in 2004 and before..The 50 gal water heater is very large and uses lots of power, a 10 SEER HVAC system was common in 2005..Of course you can spend thousands and get a more efficient model today. I heard an ad today for a 18 SEER rated Carrier model. These would save 80% of the cooling cost but of course would not save on the other appliances..We all will have to pay more for our standard of living or conserve large amounts just as we have to do with transportation..Worse news is electric prices are rising. Most states allow pass through energy surcharges..Gas and oil used in power plants have gone up more than 100% in the last 16 months....

Your electric company will do a free energy survey and make recommendations on how to save..Call them and ask..

shelbygt

Post by shelbygt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:07 am

Thanks for your response!
I was also basing my kwh usage on people around me. I have a relative who lives on the next property over... with a 99 block home with similar square footage and their electric bill was around 160.00 last month. My mother's home, who lives across town used 1,600 kwh last month in an uninsulated 1933 stick built home and hers was $178.00 My friend lives near me and in his 1800 sq ft 2006 block home, never goes above $150.00 per month running the ac at 74 degrees.
So factoring in our washing machine, dryer and well pump, our electric was about $300.00 or about 2,400 kwh.
Clearly I am paying MUCH more than anyone I ask.
When I bought our home, we were told a well insulated manufactured home was equal or better than a comparable stick or block home. Was I misled and am I expecting too much from a manufactured home?
Every sinlge person I talk to is floored when I tell them what I am paying for electric. We have converted all bulbs to florescent and have cut back on using the dishwasher, and bumping the ac to 78 only to see a $10-15 savings per month.

Dave

shelbygt

Post by shelbygt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:09 am

Oh and I called the power company today and they told me they do not come out and do evaluations, but will send me a pamphlet on how to conserve energy. Big help they are.. LOL

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:18 am

Comparing energy usage between families is almost impossible..personal habits are much different.Topography is different (amount of shade, even direction of the home matter).The manufactured home you have IS at least as efficient as any of the other examples you gave..
The only problem that could possibly make a big difference is the duct work. If it is leaking or not hooked up right one could be losing lots there..With the overhead ducts and a split unit I would be checking the crossover connection of the ducts from side to side..It is hard to get to with overhead ducts..

Your experiment with bulbs and a/c setting proves, more efficient appliances and a/c are only a modest savings often at a cost of thousands of dollars.It is interesting most folks with the exact equipment you have complain about the winter heat usage since Resistance heat is VERY inefficient. Good luck with your quest..

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:30 am

I agree with Rmurray. Check the ductwork. You could be losing a lot there.

David Oxhandler

Post by David Oxhandler » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:36 am

Your electric bill is not unreasonable for this time of year in Florida... Your comparing usage in Oct and Nov to June-July... This is Florida the sunstroke state. I am also in FL and my bills go from $98 in Nov to almost $300 this past month. Average temp in Nov mid 70s... Average temp in July 97....Turn off your air unit and you will see a great savings over Nov when you were not running heat or air.

Additionally the cost of electric has gone up along with the cost of gas. Look at your fuel adjustment cost on the bills from this year and last
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

marinermark

Post by marinermark » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:20 pm

I have a 2005 HOM - about 1500 SqFt in Ft Myers. I paid a little extra to get a 13 SEER 4T AC when the house was built. I also installed a computerized thermostat LUXPRO from Ace Hardware (there are mnany others at home Depot, etc.) The thermostat allows me to set different temperatures for each of 4 dayparts, and will track the number of hours the unit runs (using the 'filter' counter). I recommend you install one. They're about $50-$75. My AC runs about 7 hrs/day to maintain 77/78 degrees, 76 at night, with outside temps in the 90s. You can then see how much your AC is running, and multiply the KWH by about 12 cents to get the approximate cost. My FPL bill for July was $157.