3D floor decking by Rexcel

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Christal

3D floor decking by Rexcel

Post by Christal » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:21 pm

I recently asked a question on my floor being uneven . Were it is joined together one side of the floor is higher than the other half of our double wide
I recently found out the flooring supplied by Rexel has a defect
What I must know is if all my flooring is bad
Will everything in our home have to be removed ?
I have neightmares about starting all over again [moving in]

David Oxhandler

Re: 3D floor decking by Rexcel

Post by David Oxhandler » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Rexcel is a major North American manufacturer of particleboard and decorative laminates based in Mexico. It is the largest particleboard manufacturer and market leader in Mexico. What you have is most probably grade D3 (not 3D)

Any particleboard will swell up when it gets wet and if it gets enough moisture it will decompose. You may not have to replace all the flooring in the house but it is a good idea to change out any that has been affected. Replace with a like thickness of plywood so you will not have this same problem again.

To protect what ever areas you dont need to replace you can paint it with a good grade of marine paint.

One of the most important features to look for when your purchasing a manufactured home is the floor decking. The best choices are plywood or oriented strand board (OSB). Particleboard under any brand name is a poor choice and often leads to expensive and extensive replacements.

If you want to save some money and do the job yourself take a look at Floor Repair Info Kit from Aberdeen RepairThis kit includes a 25 minute VHS video about repairing, replacing the floor in a bathroom underneath your toilet, the techniques apply to replacing flooring anyplace in a home and includes an easy to follow booklet on floor repair.

This is not a high-dollar video with actors that wear makeup and every word smoothly rehearsed, these videos are. However a good-quality that features a real contractor clearly showing you how to do the job
David Oxhandler
[email protected]

rbonnie

Post by rbonnie » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:15 am

Contact the service department for the manufacturer that built your home. I assume it was built in Indiana. They will handle your problem.
Roy T. Bonney

REDHD43

Post by REDHD43 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:01 am

I do not have this type of flooring however, I have one side of my trailer that the entire floor has collapsed because that side of my home was built backwards, I am now in the process of replacing the entire bathroom floor and the kitchen and other bathroom floor has already been replaced. The only reason the 3rd room floor hasn't collapsed is because nobody uses it. It is only a matter of time as that is where the water heater is. If your home is out of warranty do not bother going back to the manufacturer as they won't do anything anyway. We replaced our flooring with 5/8" OSB and where it has been replaced it is solid. I should have suspected that one side of this home was a "LEMON" the day they delivered it and sent it back as the electrical wiring was wired wrong and every fixture on the bad side had a wired pinched under every fixture and I had to call in a Professional Electrician who stated this home should have never left the factory. I have lived in manufactured homes my entire life and am not going to let this one beat me down. DO not give up but be sure you replace the floor with thicker solid Plywood or OSB boards.

qwert2008

Post by qwert2008 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:10 pm

I have experience in removing the defective decking made in Mexico. Been doing it for two years now. I have tons of advice but would like to know the manufacturer of your home first. In fact I have heard HUD made the manufacturers send out a recall letter letting homeowners know of the problem. The decking is contracting and expanding for than it should and you want to talk about water on the decking and how long till it affects it.....HA HA HA! Try imagining simple water under the home and moisture from that going up into the floor and warping the floor to where kids can trip over the hills and valleys it causes. I have pictures, and have experienced this first hand. I do not own a manufacturer home, but do work on them weekly. The decking I am referring to is made in Mexico and was placed in home from March of 06 till August 06 for manufacturers I rather not mention at this time.