Honest opinion on modulars

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

speedbow20

Honest opinion on modulars

Post by speedbow20 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:33 pm

In everyones honest and professional opinion, what is the best modular home on the market today, using mostly the quality of craftmanship as a guide line. I am currently having a Champion suite retreat 113 being built in Weiser, Idaho. Without seeing my house, do you think I will fair well?

rmurray

Re: Honest opinion on modulars

Post by rmurray » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:09 pm

Of course you know that this home is either a modular OR a manufactured home...These are 2 different building codes with completely different specs...2300 sq. ft. is a big home for anyone....The shower looks pretty upscale..The floor plan is a popular floor plan by many builders (Fleetwood calls it the Entertainer and others have their own names)..I assume you shopped the area for homes that could be built on your land. You might want to visit the bookstore here and invest in
The Grissim Guide
to Manufactured
Homes and Land
by John Grissim OR

The Modular
Home Book
by Andy Gianino Depending on which type of home you are actually getting..
They can be found here;

http://manufacturedhousingbookstore.com/

I would think both books would emphasize that a successful home project starts with shopping, deciding exactly what you want in a home,comparing local prices, investigating the dealer or builder, proper land preparation, proper design and construction of the foundation..These books will emphasize that as buyer it is your responsibility to to be sure quality work is done at every step of the process..I assume by now you you have done your shopping, investigated the dealer or builder and have started the land prep process..By now you have a detailed written purchase agreement and reviewed the plants order confirmation with your dealer.Just remember all success depend on the installer, foundation crews, crane crews (with modular homes) set crews and finish crews..Both of the books mentioned will have info you need for every step of the process..They are a SMALL investment for peace of mind and likely success..
Champion is a very large builder and they have many plants nationwide all with different specs and finish items..You will have to read the specs n your home and be sure it has all you feel is important...

Good Luck..

speedbow20

Post by speedbow20 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:54 pm

My wife and I shopped around the state of Montana for 2 years walking and talking with many manufactuers. I really liked Palm Harbor homes but they refused to make my home into a modular. I liked the Bonnavilla home offered by Pierce, but they were out of my budget, starting at 165000 for the home I liked without upgrades. I have my own land and the guy building my foundation has done only foundations for mods and mans for the last 10 years and has been in the concrete business for 35 years. I had my Champion built as a mod and elected to go with the highest quality of shingles and siding I could. I have heard some shady stories about there quality of craftsmanship only after the $20,000 down exchanged hands. I understand there are lemons in everything. i was just looking for anyones opinion or personal experiences with Champion.

Thanks,
Sam

mrsbud

Post by mrsbud » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:11 am

Don't forget to get the foundation done by a reputable company! The foundation is a VERY expensive part of a modular! If it is wrong, it can be VERY costly for years to come! Mobile homes and Modulars are built for different areas of the country, so I can't help with the best built home in your area.
Good luck!