Formaldehyde in MFH

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

kids4ever

Formaldehyde in MFH

Post by kids4ever » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 am

As a single parent I am looking into purchasing a manufactured home for my family due to economics. However, I do not want to risk my family's health as a result. I am interested in the Palm Harbor Homes based on the lower ppm of formaldehyde but I want to know if it is low enough to be safe. Please see the two paragraphs below:

"...our sub flooring material is made of Oriented Strand Board (not particle board...or any brand of particle board) which is structurally rated and emits far fewer chemicals (.008 ppm/formaldehyde vs. .32ppm/formaldehyde for particle board). so the air inside the home is healthier and more pleasant for the customer." (Statement from a Palm Harbor Homes Internet Associate.)

Formaldehyde primarily affects the mucous membranes of the upper airways and eyes; these effects include potentially precancerous nasal epithelial histological lesions, including keratosis and metaplasia of the nasal epithelium (Edling et al., 1988). Repeated exposure of skin to the liquid also causes irritation and allergic dermatitis. Dose-dependent increases in health complaints (eye and throat irritation, and headaches) have been noted in residents of mobile and conventional homes at concentrations of 0.1 ppm formaldehyde or above (Ritchie and Lehnen, 1987). Similarly, Liu et al. (1991) found that exposure to 0.09 ppm (0.135 mg/m3) formaldehyde exacerbated chronic respiratory and allergy problems in residents living in mobile homes. Chronic exposure to formaldehyde has been associated with immunological hypersensitivity and altered immunity (Thrasher et al., 1987). Thrasher et al. (1990) later found that long-term exposure to formaldehyde was associated with autoantibodies, immune activation, and formaldehyde-albumin adducts. The authors suggest that the hypersensitivity induced by formaldehyde may account for a mechanism for asthma and other health complaints associated with formaldehyde exposure. (Information from an online search.)

Thank you for your input.

rmurray

Re: Formaldehyde in MFH

Post by rmurray » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:39 pm

As you have already discovered the higher quality building materials have far less of the problem...The PH you mentioned does have generally higher quality building materials...It is not only the flooring material...It is also in the cabinet, carpet, wall covering and floor covering...All of the above are of the highest quality available..

The important point is...NO other home at any price range has any better preforming building products...You will have to live somewhere..I would suggest you meet with your local PH housing consultant and see for yourself...Or better yet visit a PH plant and take a tour an engineer will be happy to address your concerns..Good Luck in your quest..

bjsinger

Post by bjsinger » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:19 pm

Is there a dissipation time for the formaldehyde to go away, for the most part?

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:04 pm

Usually pretty well gone after 2 years..But buy a good home and it will not have much problem in the first place...

mrsbud

Post by mrsbud » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:05 am

What I did, as well as others I know did, is purchase and EcoQuest Fresh air machine. It is an air purifier, not air filter and it took care of the formaldehyde. (As well as all other odors.)

Good Luck

air12

Post by air12 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:15 am

wow that was really nice thread thanks for that with us.
new fresh air by ecoquest