Propane vs Natural Gas

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Ram2001

Propane vs Natural Gas

Post by Ram2001 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:12 pm

I just had a Palm Harbor home delivered to my site. When we ordered it we specified Natural gas good cents with the provision that we would be using porpane. Now all the appliances need conversion kits and the gas water heater needs to be replaced with a propane water heater. So far Palm Harbor is ignoring me.about the costs or materials needed.

rmurray

Re: Propane vs Natural Gas

Post by rmurray » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:38 pm

All gas appliances are shipped ready for natural gas...but propane "
kits"
are on the appliance..You should be sure your propane company connects the gas and converts all appliances..This is a very simple process which involves changing the orifice on the gas line..I can think of NO reason the water heater would have to be changed...Look in your owners manual for the toll free number to your plants service manager...They will explain the process and suggest you have only qualified gas professional hook up the system..

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:58 am

If it is a modular home the water heater may or may not be convertible, but even then you would only need to change the burner assembly and not the whole water heater. If it is a hud code home, Rmurray is right, it is a very easy job for a qualified professional and your gas company should be willing to do it for a samll charge or maybe even no charge.

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:18 am

And, all manufacturers ship homes with the natural gas orifices installed as standard practice. Your gas company is ware of this. Also an appliance you would buy from Sears or Lowes or wherever is shipped with the natural gas orifice installed.

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:47 am

Regarding water heaters there are specific ones designed for installation in manufactured/mobile homes. These units have a combination gas control that allows it to be converted from LP to Natural or visa versa. The rating plate on the front of the water heater will tell you what type of water heater it is. If it does not say for Manufactured Home it is NOT convertible.

Modular Homes on the other hand are spec'd out during the buying process to which gas your going to use. These gas-fired water heaters are either equipped for use with Natural gas or for use with Propane gas. Again they are NOT convertible!!!. A previous poster is INCORRECT in saying you can just change out a burner orifice. There are many parts that may be different between gases such as burners,flue baffles, draft hoods etc. You would not want to put you or your families life at risk (Carbon Monoxide Poisoning) doing such a conversion.

My recommendation to you is to carefully read the Owners Manual that came with the water heater and if you have any questions, please call the water heater manufacturer as they will gladly help you and steer you in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Larry Kidd
Project Engineer
Rheem Manufacturing Company
Water Heater Division
www.rheem.com