Smart Panel Siding

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Michael

Smart Panel Siding

Post by Michael » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:54 pm

I am looking at a Solitaire Manufactured Home, it seems to be well built and has all the space and options that the wife and I want. My only concern is the Smart panel siding, has anyone had any experience with this product? This will be our final home, retirement is a year away.
Please e-mail any pros or cons.
Thanks

John Smith

Re: Smart Panel Siding

Post by John Smith » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:43 pm

I'd go with Hardi-Panel or Hardi-Plank, the cement sidings. L-P claims the Smart Panel stuff is better than the old Inner-Seal that ended up on my house... I'll pass, thanks.

Michael

Post by Michael » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:34 pm

Thank you for your input John.

jgn

Post by jgn » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:35 am

Solitaire has a well built home and a real value for the money. Smart panel is a step down from Hardi but still OK but If they offered Hardi Panel I would upgrade to it but the house is sound. When we were looking at Solitaire they offered very few upgrades, I think they had a upgrade package for around 8k but a lot of it was not worth it. They have standard 2x6 exterior, 2x4 interior and plywood sub floor, T&T throughout so the basic package is good, You might want to look at upgraded insullation but I would stay away from upgraded fixtures (you can do better buying at a home center and do the upgrade yourself).

Michael

Post by Michael » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:16 pm

Thank you jgn for the info, I appreciate it.

HONDA ACCORD MAN

Post by HONDA ACCORD MAN » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:22 pm

I own a 1992 solitaire with that old paperboard sideing that is just now falling apart. Last week we pulled all of the old siding off and replaced it with LP smartsiding. LP smartsideing is very good and is guaranteed for 30 years, just go to the webside. The reason i did not go with hardie board is it weights a TON and any movement from it being transported crackes the hardieboard for it made out of concrete. I hope this helps.