Double Wide vs Modular

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Sandi Russell

Double Wide vs Modular

Post by Sandi Russell » Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:50 pm

I'm STILL trying to determine if our home is a 1974 Marlette double wide or a modular. I called the Marlette office in PA, and the gentleman I spoke with gave me some information leading me to believe the home IS indeed a double wide. We checked and found that the house has large I beams running cross-wise AND smaller beams running lengthwise. But after thinking about it a bit, could this configuration occur in older mods as well as doublewides? He also indicated that a roof pitch steeper than 3/12 could indicate modular construction.

Unfortunately, our town offices have no information in the titles indicating that the house is anything but a "house". The site maps show "house and garage". Our tax records show mobile home/manufactured home. And WE have no documentation whatsoever.

How will we refinance or even sell if we have no information as to what the construction of the house really is? Is there anyway to "rebuild" the house to the specifications that would allow us to change it in the records since NO ONE seems to know just what the house is? In the last few years we have changed the studs to 2x6's in over half the house.

We purchased the house in 1984 and refinanced in 1994; neither lender ever questioned the construction.

This is causing me to lose sleep.

Thanks so much for any guidance you can provide.

trmimo

Re: Double Wide vs Modular

Post by trmimo » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:12 am

An easy way to tell if it is a mod, is to look at the plumbing vents that go up through the roof.
3" diameter + mod, 1 1/2" diameter = doublewide.
Your house was built before Marlette began switching their mod.s to off frame, so that doesn't help.
The person you talked to at Marlette probably wasn't there over 30 years, and it doesn't sound like he looked anything up for you.
Marlette actually stopped building doublewides during the 70's and restarted in the 80s.
I can't remember the exact year that they switched all doubles to mod.s, but chances are that you have a mod.
As far as roof pitch, both 3/12 and 4/12 were offered in 1974 for mod.s.
Without documentation, you won't really be able to convince someone either way.
As long as your refi goes through, don't worry about it.
You posted earlier the appraisal was good, so you should be ok.

Sandi Russell

Post by Sandi Russell » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:46 am

Ah HA! You have provided so much information, I can't thank you enough. And I am learning WAY more about this subject than I ever wanted!

The vent pipe is definitely 3". The roof pitch is 4/12. And the info that our home was constructed before mods went off frame confirmed my thoughts. At least I feel more confortable having this information.

Thank you so very much.

BA Allen

Post by BA Allen » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:03 pm

I s it really worth the price diff. to get a mod. rather than an upgraded MH.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:40 am

Only you can decide...Some modulars are over built..far exceeding anything done in the site built business..A top of thr l;in manufactured home casn well have most of the same features..usually about $30/ft less..with finance costs this can be huge money..

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:53 pm

I donot think any modular homes are over built. I think when it comes to your family and the home they live in you should get the floor plan you want by the company that produces the stongest pruduct you can afford. Your family will be in this home and they are important enough to get the styrongest home for the money posssible

Sandi Russell

Post by Sandi Russell » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:15 am

Well, here we are, over a month later, and my wonderful father-in-law found the original paperwork on the house from 1972! The bill of sale indicates that the house is a 1972 (instead of 1974) Marlette Modular ,"The Marion", complete with the model and serial number, too.

Do you think it's safe to call this a mod now??

Thanks for all of your help with this mystery!

Sandi

trmimo

Post by trmimo » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:15 am

Definately safe to call it a mod. All Marions were state code mods.
Glad you finally got the info you needed.

Smoka

Post by Smoka » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:48 am

Just saw this thread when I googled Marlette Marion model. I live in one and did not realize Marlette made some state code modulars. I'm just wondering where you obtained that information and/or where I might search to get it from a reliable source that I can use for insurance, appraisal, etc. purposes? Thank you!