MH discrimination via CC&R's

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Cheryl Boyce

MH discrimination via CC&R's

Post by Cheryl Boyce » Tue Mar 25, 2003 10:06 am

I am a Realtor in Plumas County, CA, an area that has abundant recreational "trailer parks" & now more people are wanting to construct more affordable manufactured homes on available lots. The "trailer" predjudice is evident by the significantly lower price manufactured homes fetch at resale.

Now since California has passed the non-discrimination law pertaining to MH, certain enclaves of stick built, golf course communities still feel they can circumvent the law via their "Architectural Review" clauses in their CC&R's.

Is there any "teeth" to this law? Who is the enforcing agency? Have their been any test cases regarding challenges to CC& R's & architectural review committees?

Bill Fry

Re: MH discrimination via CC&R's

Post by Bill Fry » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:25 pm

Many developments across the US do this.They
govern the roof pitch minimuns,eve overhang,
siding requirment etc to keep out MF homes.
they dont specify that MF homes arent allowed but thats what its worded for.Anythings legal if you skirt the issue with smoke and mirrors..

Dan F.

Post by Dan F. » Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:33 am

I had to adhere to CC&R's that had overhang, roof pitch, and garage requirments. I think Most good builders can option a home to meet these requirements.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:37 am

These kind of deed restrictions seem to be very common all over the country...They would apply to stick built as well as manufactured homes...There are many manufacturers that build both manufactured and modular homes to fit almost all possible requirements...especially in your area....

Of course the folks in these housing developements want to shop at minimum wage Walmart, want the underpaid policeman to quickly respond when summoned and want the underpaid teacher to be everything to thier children......BUT....they do not want these low income folks to live in "their" neighborhoods...OH WELL

Cheryl Boyce

Post by Cheryl Boyce » Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:54 am

Thanks to all for your insights. I'm always so discouraged by the part I play in an industry that recognizes only monetary values instead of community values...location, location, location = mine, mine, MINE!