foundation concern

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Paul McLaughlin

foundation concern

Post by Paul McLaughlin » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:30 pm

We are starting a community of 94 homes. Our goal is a higher end community so we want to only sell models with attached garages. We are in a snow belt area in Massachusetts so frost gets deep into the ground. The homes will be put on cement slabs. We have been told that we shouldn't put attached garages on the homes because since the garage is unheated that section of the pad will rise and cause problems whereas the rest of the house will not have issues related to the frost because the heat from the home eliminates any problems.
Is this a realistic concern?
If so can it be resolved?
Does the type of concrete make a difference?
would I need a foundation to get below the frost line and if so would I need it for the entire house or just the garage?
Thank you for your help.

Paul McLaughlin

Keith

Re: foundation concern

Post by Keith » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:46 am

Paul: I would suggest that a foundation for the house should have a depth that will not only support the house but will also be below any possible frost line. The garage, should also have a foundation that will support the structure and also provide stability to prevent differential settlement between the two structures. I would not recommend setting the house and the garage on the same continuous slab without frost footings under both structrues. This single elevation slab makes it difficult to obtain proper surface water drainage from around the garage unless you raise the perimeter walls with block. What has been used in the past is drilled piers filled with 3,000 psi concrete and dry stack block up to the bottom of the house frame. For the garage, an eight inch wide trench footing with the bottom elevation of the concrete below frost is a somewhat typical installation. Concrete block or poured concrete walls can then be used above the trench wall to reach the desired elevation above grade. You will need to comply with your local building codes and the manufacturers specifications. We have a patented structural steel pier and beam, permanent foundation system that will provide for a quick, level and secure foundation for your homes and one that will work with home mortgage companies. We also have a product called System - 1 Concrete Skirting that is self suppporting, durable, solid concrete, and expected to last the lifetime of the home. Look us up at www.concreteskirting.com If any interest or questions, let me know, Keith.

Drew Pierce

Re: foundation concern

Post by Drew Pierce » Sat Mar 22, 2003 9:27 pm

Dear Paul,
You have some very proper concerns about the foubndations. I want to run some things by you, if your interested, please email me. I live in VErmont and have been very familar with another project similar to this one.
Thanks,
Drew Pierce
Lakeside Homes
[email protected]