Bad Business?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Brian

Bad Business?

Post by Brian » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:17 pm

It took me a month to figure out what exactly I wanted from my Champion dealer. I added many upgrades and the dealer always wanted to know for sure that these were the changes that were definite so he could give me an accurate quote.

When I made the last changes, I actually scaled down the new home to thier standard floor plan but with all the construction upgrades.

So then, it was definite.

He worked on the the quote,

Quoted me the price the next day,

I told him that it sounds good, and to go ahead and fish out some loans at different banks. (and yes, I have excellent credit)

He got back to me in two days and talked about one bank that bought the loan and was waiting to hear from another. In this same conversation, he also said he misquoted the price he gave me two days ago. Now it's $900.00 higher.

He said in a slight loss of words: "Uh...I..left out the fireplace"

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

And now, I haven't heard from him in a week.

Maybe I get spooked to easily but, what does this sound like to you?

JohnnyJ

Re: Bad Business?

Post by JohnnyJ » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:17 pm

Do you have the original quote in writing? If so, try another Champion dealer to
see if they have the same deal for less.

People do make honest mistakes. You won't know if he never contacts you, and
you don't contact him. If it was me, I would tell him to go with the original quote
or the deal was off. I'll bet you get your fireplace.

Also.... he may be getting a kickback from the lender he is steering you to.
While this is not legal in the real estate market, it's okay in the mobile home
market.

good luck

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:23 am

Legal or not...it does happen in the mortgage market as well..

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:25 am

Sounds like a mistake...unfortunately we all make them...At least he caught it early and gave you time to stop the deal..This is not the actions of a crook...

I would be more worried about the week delay...Maybe he is embarrased about the mistake and afraid to call...We are all human...

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:16 pm

RM, I was referring to the "mortgage market." A real estate broker or agent can
lose their license if they accept kickbacks from loan organizations. The salesman
who sells manufactured housing is usually not a real estate broker or agent.
I believe there was a similar question on the national or state exam about that
illegal practice. It also comes under the heading of "steering," which is also
against the law.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:33 am

I know they are illegal...All I said is that it does happen...I have been offered kick backs (as much as $1500) many times from lenders and real estate developers (as much as $1000)...Our dealer does not allow them..but that is not true in most of our market area..