Building Mobile Home Park/Community

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

psears

Building Mobile Home Park/Community

Post by psears » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:54 pm

Hello,

First, thanks to all for the previous post replies. The sharing of knowledge is a wonderful gift.

Here's an idea I've been running through my head as of late. Tell me what you think...

I buy between 5 & 20 well-located growth-corridor acres in the county, or unzoned in the city, & either rehab a house already on the land or put a high-end MH on it for my primary residence. Then, after I talk the wife into it, I begin designing part of the property to accomodate either

1) A "traditional" concentrated mobile home park with single-wides that I could buy low, rehab, and place on the property for sale (income from both the lot rent & loan notes.) or:

2) Create a design reflecting a more rural, larger-lot type development that would allow me to start with perhaps a single high-end double-wide to place on my property that I could rent out or lease-option to someone. If it goes well, I could put another one next to it, and so on, until I have created a de-facto higher-end land-lease community of sorts, with perhaps 10-20 homes on it.

Although I have found some books on the internet regarding purchasing existing trailer parks, I haven't found anything regarding building one from scratch. I've heard that it's easier to buy and rehab an existing "trailer park" in the city limits then try to build a new one because of zoning, red tape, opposition, etc., but how about farther out? Plus, I want to be able to start out small and expand.

Basic questions:

If there is no city sewer service, are there septic designs that can accomodate multiple trailers/houses?

How much do the different types of roads cost to build?

How about other utilities?

What do you think? Has anyone out there done something like this, or am I smoking crack?

Thanks!

psears

Drew Pierce

Re: Building Mobile Home Park/Community

Post by Drew Pierce » Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:42 pm

WOW, WHAT QUESTIONS, AND YOU SEEM LIKE SOMEONE I CAN TALK TO. WHERE ARE YOU LOOKING TO DO THIS PROJECT. I HAVE CONSULTED IN TRANSACTIONS LIKE THIS BEFORE. FUNDING IS A LARGE ISSUE. IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT THIS, EMAIL ME

DREW PIERCE
LAKESIDE HOMES
PRESIDENT