windows, replacing broken and cracked

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Regina Beach

windows, replacing broken and cracked

Post by Regina Beach » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:39 am

Folks,

I've got a little money set aside and want to replace some broken and cracked windows in my mobile home. A few questions:

How hard is it to do?

Can I replace the pane of glass or do I have to pull the entire window setting out and replace it?

If the latter case is so, how do I measure? From the inside, outside, etc.

Thanks,

Regina in Kingsville, Texas

John

Re: windows, replacing broken and cracked

Post by John » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:45 pm

I replaced all of my windows last summer. It depends on the age of the home, the type windows and the type of siding on your home. I decided to replace the entire window since mine were metal and I wanted vinyl. I pulled a window, measured the opening and had them made. The problem with my home is that it is a 1978 and all non standard windows so they had to be made custom. Not hard to replace took me about a half hour per window. If the frame is in good shape you can always just replace the glass.
If you decide to replace the frame and window, pull off the inside trim and measure the opening, I ended up re-sizing some of my openings because some of them were off my as much as 1/2".