Top-end manufactured vs. site-built?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

psears

Top-end manufactured vs. site-built?

Post by psears » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:42 pm

Hello,

I've been thinking about going the manufactured home route for my first home (as well as for developing some rental property as well) for quite a while now, but when I get to looking at all the upgrade features that I would want for a quality construction, I wonder if it wouldn't be fiscally smarter to just go with a comparable site-built. Here is what I'm thinking as minimums for my manufactured homes:

ground set concrete foundation w/ Hydra X or some other modern, advanced stabilization system
2x8" or 2x10" floor joists with 3/4" PLYWOOD flooring
6/12 roof pitch, R-30, & quality shingles
2x6" exterior studs w/Tyvek or some other insulator, and high R value
1/2" sheetrock w/full tape & texture
high quality windows, six panel doors, etc...

What do you think?

Thanks!
psears
[email protected]

Bill Fry

Re: Top-end manufactured vs. site-built?

Post by Bill Fry » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:44 pm

You can get all that in a MF home.Check prices for a comparable new site built in your area(excluding land value) and then check with a MF dealer who can build one the way you want.You will come out with a bigger house and lower price for the MF home.

Lynne Stewart

Post by Lynne Stewart » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:29 am

We decided to go the MH route after moving to an area with more expensive housing them our older city. I admit, when I started down the MH route, I thought it would be cheaper then it was, but as you note, the features in some MH's are comparable to a site built, so the price iwll be higher then the tin can versions ;)
Beynd a few minor issues, I have no complaints with the decision. We appraised very nicely after we were set on a permanent foundation and the area around us is growing, so I assume we will only get better and better. OUr floor plan is si giid and not laid out like the older stlye mobile homes at all, it has a very nice feel.
It's amazing the difference in MH's, but alot of research can be done before you even go into a lot (and suffer the sales pitch) so that you know the company can offer the features you want.
Heck, get that pit set-you know the one wehre the MH actually sits level to the ground rather then up on piers and I bet you a nickle you'd never be able to tell it was a MH. Get a good factory and make sure the set up crew is top notch and you'll have a nicer home for the price.

psears

Post by psears » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:25 pm

Thanks for the replies!

How much do you think a reasonable per square foot cost of a home constructed like this should cost? I don't want to be taken to the cleaners by an unscrupulous dealer looking for a 30% or greater mark-up!

Thanks!

psears

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:43 pm

As for cost per square foot, I just signed an agreement for a new home 2,340 square feet under air with a ton of upgrades from 2 x 8 flooring, 2 x 6 exterior walls, energy star package, full tape and texture walls, upgraded cabinets, doors(interior and exterior) alarm system etc.... etc... etc... a total custom build from a floorplan that I designed and it is costing me $39.64 per square foot. That same home as a site built, I don't even want to go there. I would imagine it would be at the very least twich the cost per square foot. I use to be the guy who said "I would never buy a trailer or mobile home" but after doing months and months of endless research, I am very confident in the product as well as the dealer I am working with. Best of luck to you and this message board has been invaluable!

Tom

Bill Fry

Post by Bill Fry » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:26 pm

Depends on your area but site built in my area (SE SC,NE Ga) can run you anywhere from about 90 to 400+ a sq ft.