Plywood wrap

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Robert

Plywood wrap

Post by Robert » Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:22 am

I just bought a 28x60 Clayton home in rutledge TN and during some maintinace On the home I discoved the house had no plywood on the out. I called the dealer about my finding and they stated 80% of homes manufactered had no plywood. That the plywood added only 1% to the R factor, and that the way Hud looks at it the engineering of the frame work plywood had no value the the strenth of the home . I find this very hard to beleave. can you comment on this. thank You.

Bill Fry

Re: Plywood wrap

Post by Bill Fry » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:35 pm

A outer wrap adds overall strength to any building.Unless you order OSB or plywood wrap you usually dont get it though.Its present on the corners probably as that is code and prevents the home from racking,In high winds a outer wrap of plywood,OSB might just save your home.

Terry

Re: Plywood wrap

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:48 pm

Hello Robert,

I believe plywood does play an important part in the structural integrity of the frame work. I have a 2000 Solitaire home thats wrapped in plywood and hardboard siding over it and it gives it extra strength and better insulation value. When my home arrived it only had a minor crack above the doors and that's all. My home is nice and solid.