Sheetrock and Homes of Merit

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Tom

Sheetrock and Homes of Merit

Post by Tom » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:23 pm

I am in the very final stages of buying my home with a Homes of Merit dealer. I was extremely specific about wanting 1/2" sheetrock throughout the house. I was told today and faxed the information that Homes of Merit does NOT offer 1/2" sheet rock as an option. Only 3/8". Granted, I am having the walls taped and textured and the mud will add strenght, but I find this VERY hard to believe.

Anyone ? This home would be built in Lake City plant.....

Thanks
Tom

rmurray

Re: Sheetrock and Homes of Merit

Post by rmurray » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:35 am

Tom..
This is perfectly good...this stuff is attached on 16 inch centers...and the finish is done on site..so there can be NO transportation damage....BUT...upon request..for an extra cost..they will offer 1/2" sheetrock..

I have set scores of these...with the proper foundation and required perimeter blocking...there is no better home...

As an extra protection to the consumer...their final finish crews are instructed not to finish a home if the foundation does not meet their requirements...HOM is very skilled with sheetrock and wants all to be fine with you..Good Luck

Tom

Post by Tom » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:04 am

Thanks Murray... on the way today to finalize my deal! FINALLY

Bill Fry

Post by Bill Fry » Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:07 pm

Thats pinching pennnies,which for a premium builder is sad.Standard sheetrock is 1/2 inch with a option to 5/8 in some cases,3/8 is OK.its just not quite as sound deadening as 1/2 and easier to punch a hole in.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:56 pm

They have told me it is a weight issue...The home is sooooo heavy that the added weight will require and additional under carrage treatment...

Bill Fry

Post by Bill Fry » Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:41 pm

Per section what do those weigh,about 45 to 50K lbs?

jgn

Post by jgn » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:04 pm

Murry I disagree with you totally on this issue. The best wall covering is 3/8 laminated over 3/8 but that gets pricey so 1/2 is the next best thing. 3/8" walls are not very sound proof nor are they sturdy, you will have more than average nail pops and if the home shifts at all you will get seam cracks. Pay the little bit more and go with 1/2" and have the bedroom and bathroom batted for soundproofing.

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:44 pm

Issues resolved. I phone HOM in Lake City and YES they do offer 1/2" as an option and the dealer has been notified by me and who to contact and that's a closed issue. Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

Tom