electrical outlets

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Mark

electrical outlets

Post by Mark » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:44 pm

Most homes have the electrical outlet boxes with tabs that hold it to the sheetrock and are not nailed to a stud.

I did however, find a manufacturer that does nail the outlet boxes to the studs.

Is anyone having any problems when they are not nailed? Do the boxes tend to put through the drywall?

Lynne Stewart

Re: electrical outlets

Post by Lynne Stewart » Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:05 am

Before we even moved in, I had an outlet fall out of the wall, box and all...never had that happen before! They came out and fixed it and that's when I was told they werne' reall mounted into anything, so to speak. I've tried to be careful since then and nothing else has happened, though I didn't think I had been all that aggresive with the one that broke...

Catherine Schmitt

Post by Catherine Schmitt » Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:51 pm

I had this problem on my last house, and when I tried to sell it, I couldn't find anything that I could attach it to. I finally put a LOT of spackle and screwed it in, but I didn't use it again before I left. I haven't had this problem with my new Fleetwood, but I've noticed the same issue. They may be installed better tho. I also found out the outlet boxes aren't your typical box, they're a special one made for manufactured homes which makes it even worse.

Roy Bonney

Post by Roy Bonney » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:34 am

If you are repairing this type of device box, purchase an "old works box", available at any home center, it is slightly larger than that presently used without the device box, and has ears to affix to the wall. Just install the box, and then a new standard receptacle. This is not a big problem.