Purchasing an Used vs New home.

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Meaghan

Purchasing an Used vs New home.

Post by Meaghan » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:20 pm

I looked at a 1977 trailor home 14 x70, 23,900$ asking price. 2 large bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, decent sized living room and kitchen. New appliances, carpet and paint. New cabinets and furnace/hot water heater. I live in Ulster County NY....
Monthly payments would be 285$ and lot rent 400$ I personally like this trailor. Does this sound like a good deal?

Or

3 bedroom 14x78 2 bath rooms, good sized master bed and bath, 1997, 2 smaller yet adiquate rooms, all new appliances 38,500. Which would be better?
Its just me and my 2 boys and I dont need much, just something QUICK!

rmurray

Re: Purchasing an Used vs New home.

Post by rmurray » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:29 am

WOW....you are proof to all of the posts here about location effecting the resale price....In many parts of the country..the 77 would be a lot less...

All you can do is shop locally...like you have...and compare...One of the most important things is location for you...Check the condition carefully....25 year old homes can be all over the place on condition...Also compare the cost of new homes of similar size...

Good Luck

Pat

Post by Pat » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:43 am

Murray is right. We just bought a 1977 Redman (to remodel into a commercial kitchen) and paid $1500.00. It's not in bad shape. Good roof and siding. One section of floor (1 foot wide or so) is gone but we have to replace it all with 3/4 plywood anyway. No appliances either but your price seems very high to me. This is GA by the way.

Meaghan

Post by Meaghan » Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:51 am

Yeh, We are looking at the 3 bedroom now, I drove past it and its gorgeous, problem is, i heard the orginal owners moved out because of WoodChucks living in the underskirting, how would I get rid of those things?? We're pretty serious about the 3 bedroom, its a 97 everythings newer, siding 3 yr warrently on all the higgy me bobs...:) thanks for all your help!