Singlewide Roof Question

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Brian

Singlewide Roof Question

Post by Brian » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:08 am

I need some opinions on eaves/drips on shingled roof singlewides.

Here's the deal:

I think I can get 1' eaves on a 14X80 but a 16X80, I can't.

I know why I can't get eaves on a 16 'cause of delivery/highway specs etc...

Do you think this will be ok to just go with the 16X80 rather than get eaves on a 14 footer and sacrifice floorspace?

How are the 16 footers holding up without eaves?

Thanks

Eric

Re: Singlewide Roof Question

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:25 am

I have noticed the same thing on single-wide vinyl/shingle homes. I don't particularly like that. The less overhang you have the more the chance of water getting in behind siding. I guess you could use gutters to help, but I am wanting to get a double-wide, because of the added extra protection. I know you can get a decent overhang on a 28' wide. Not sure about 32' wide. Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me anytime. I too, am new to manufactured housing. I have ordered Randy Eaton's books and am waiting on them. I look to get a home within about a year give-or-take.

Best of luck,
Eric

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:30 am

Oh, by the way, I would not recommend getting the 14'x80' or 16'x80', just to be safe. If possible, get a double wide. I would recommend getting Randy Eaton's books.

Eric

Brian

Post by Brian » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:29 pm

Thanks for the info. I already have Randy's books and I can only get a singlewide on my property. No room for the doubles. Wish I could!! LOL

I guess maybe later on I could put metal on the roof and let that overhang. I'll have a better roof, with a overhang, and have more of a residential look.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:46 pm

If you plan on roofing over, you could get either of the single-wides you mentioned, and still be OK. I would highly recommend the plan of roofing over, because you don't want water leaking in behind the siding. Plus, without any overhang, you will see water run streaks on the side after a rain, which aren't pretty. So, go ahead and do that.

Good luck,
Eric