help please ...

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Mike

help please ...

Post by Mike » Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:49 pm

Hi. We purchased a Kit Home August of 2001. We were the first one in Nevada to receive the new 2/10 warranty. Instead of having just one year on structure and foundation and five years on plumbing and electrical the government now says manufactured home owners get two years and ten years. Am I correct on this? We are now six months from the two year mark and would like to prepare for the crew coming out and fixing up all the little things for our one time warranty service. Things like cracks in the walls; doors that don't shut properly; bad paint job; releveling? and things of the such. Could you tell us what we might do to prepare for this? Should we have someone come out and do the relevel now? Have them secure all the jacks under the in-ground foundation?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
mike

rmurray

Re: help please ...

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:12 am

The government does not require any warranty on a new home...all the HUD code does say is that IF there is a warranty...it must be for at least 1 year and work must be done on the owners site (believe it or not...when I started in the industry most warranties had a written requirement the the homeowner return the home to the factory for repairs...this clause kept them out of court)...

By tradition...every company in the business offers at least a 1 year warranty...some factories offer much more...

The FHA requires at least a 1 year manufactuers warranty...AND..a 2/10 structure warranty as a condition of finance (this is true on all new homes that are financed FHA)...2/10 warranties are usually supplied by insurance companies...there are many different policies available..some are very limited with LARGE deductables...but do cover MAJOR issues...Some deductables are per item...not per visit...other extended warranty policies offer more extensive coverage..some even to the appliances with small deductables...

You will have to read your policy to understand which coverage you have paid for and what your deductable will be....The FHA minimum requirement is very basic..covering the very large items only...these policies are relatively inexpensive..(currently about $250)...the most extensive 2/10 policies could cost 5 or 6 times as much..

Many of the items you mention would not be covered under the normal 2/10 policies.....Your manufacturer might very well offer more extensive coverage...but it would be very unusual for any manufactuer to cover cosmectic (paint and cracks in sheetrock) for this amount of time....If it is a manufactuers warranty...they will not have anything to do with the foundation that was dealer installed...
I am not familier with Kit Homes....I hope you do have one of those very unusual situations....Good Luck...read your warranty papers for a complete understanding of what you have..Good Luck