Getting the Runaround?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

JohnnyJ

Never said it was easy......

Post by JohnnyJ » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:07 pm

But, I did say to conatct the CREDIT CARD COMPANIES, not one of those
RIP OFF credit repair places. It's free and can't hurt. If it works, great. If it
doesn't work, nothing lost in trying.

Kris

Re: Never said it was easy......

Post by Kris » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:50 pm

Hello, everyone!

First of all, thank you to everyone who has replied to this. I appreciate all of your help and information.

However, I have obviously been grossly misunderstood. So, to put things back in perspective:

A. The ONLY poor credit we have are the credit cards. We ARE working with the companies, and all of them will soon be paid off in full.

B. We recently nearly lost the house we live in (and rent) to an electrical fire, and our landlord is not interested in fixing the wiring, thus no A/C or heat, or we would not be interested in moving at all. Renters insurance is frozen in TX right now. I will be finishing my last 2 years of school as an engineer (don't be fooled by the "K;" I am a lady; just good with math:-)). We were planning to stay here until I had a stable job after school. With this wonderful experience of watching the walls turn orange and red, and all of the wonderful people parading through our home, and rearranging it in the process, and not really wanting to go through it again, we have taken drastic measures to pull all of our pennies together to gather a sizable down-payment, in addition to paying the cards off. We don't have "tens of" yet, but have the K's taken care of; and will have more when the time comes. We only want a home ranging from $35K to $75K; nothing outrageous, just realistic and affordable in this area.

C. Therefore, a mobile home is not our "dream home," we just need an immediate alternative. Nor are we looking to purchase or build our "dream home" at this time.
We simply want a home that is livable. We looked into renting. We have dogs; no one seems to want pets in our area. So we have looked into other options. This is one of the last we have checked out; and are still considering all options available.

D. The salesman from this company called to tell us that "the loan was APPROVED." I still have the message saved. When we called, he did not tell us we had poor credit. He did not mention it at all. He then proceeded to treat us as if we were dirt.

E. We have found other lenders that would be willing to work with us, with letters from the credit card companies. The companies have agreed to send letters, as well as reporting to the credit bureau.

Obviously, I was extremely upset with the rude service. This was our first experience with a mobile home dealership, and may very well be our last.

Also, if anyone has been in this area lately, there are homes going up overnight. I drive all day with my current job at least 3 days a week, and cover a sizeable area. There are homes on the road, 24-7. And homes being built in what was a pasture yesterday. Apparently, the lenders are doing more than just talking, and snowing people with smoke and mirrors. My neighbor just started his own business as a contractor, and says he cannot find enough hours in the day to complete all the work he has.

I simply wanted to know if there was a dealership that would at least tell us honestly what our options were, without being rude, without insulting our intelligence, and without talking down to us like we were low-lifes throughout the process. I was wondering if there was a dealership with salespeople that would not tell us one thing, then pull a Dr. Jeckyll/Mr. Hyde routine on us. Maybe even find a place where, when we were "approved," would let us look at the homes. If not, is there some alternative that we have not explored?

We have found there are. I am sure that with one "approval" in our favor, we can find another one. We simply refuse to do business with a jerk. I was also wondering if there is anything to be done about his abhorrable behavior.

Again, thank you, everyone!

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:35 am

I guess I am not getting across...I tied to tell you like it is...sorry it does not include information you want to hear...
For most lenders..acceptable scores are only the beginning of the approval process...even if the scores were somehow higher..90 day lates in the last 12 months will scuttle almost all lenders programs...
If your cards were paid off today...your score will not improve much for 2 years...Credit score rules are secret...but..even the credit scoring company will tell you the score is weighted to the information in your cb in the last 2 years...ANY..90 day lates will drag your score down many of points...it will improve every month as time goes by...but...it will take months for your score to go up 50 points (even if the cards were paid to 0)...If the card company enters rating that they had to settle for less money..this will hurt worse...even if it is ok with them..
Believe me...time and paying on time is your only cure..

I mentioned the 12 month program..because the FHA is not score driven...BUT..they WILL NOT finance anyone with even 1 30 day late reference in the last 12 months..

With enough downpayment, you might be allowed to buy a repossesed home form a lender who ownes the home now...Most lenders have quit financing on these terms...but large cash can turn thier heads...To find these..find Clayton Manufactured Home stores in your area, Oakwood Home stores, possibly a repo sales center in your area...They might be willing to sell you a home...with higher rates, higher prices and large downs....Of course all you will be doing is creating another problem you will have to work out...Remember purchasing a manufactured home is NOT a short term housing solution..You should be expecting to live in what ever you buy for at least 5 or more years if you buy on these type of programs...

Lily

Post by Lily » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:47 am

RMurray, you are missing her point as well! She lists at least five different items she was addressing and you went off on a tangent on credit scores/reporting. She HAS to move, regardless of their credit. I believe her main point was she received very poor treatment by a salesman and how she should expect to be treated somewhere else.
Lily

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:14 am

She said..."I am sure that with one "approval" in our favor, we can find another one"....I only responded to this...

The sales person did not treat her honestly...no question about it..He knew the moment she told him that she was currently very behind in her payments...that he could not sell her a new home..Unfortunately...when folks express the desparation that his person is....shady sales persons will play with them...Make them think all is well until the last minute..then they have to take anything they are offered...This is common in sales....not just manufactured homes...These kind of folks shop until they find one of these shaddy guys/girls...My guess she was told she cannot buy at many more dealers before they met this one...The honest salesperson said their piece and then went on w/thier day..The customer probably kept looking until they found someone saying things they wanted to hear...Sorry for being harsh on this person...The best ave. is renting for a while...

Kris

Post by Kris » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:36 pm

We looked into renting. Ridiculous prices that are higher than mortgages. We talked to a realtor. Then we talked to a place that sells site-built homes. Then we went to this dealership because they came highly recommended. In my first posting, I stated we did not get to talk to the sales person we wanted to. This was our first dealing with a mobile home dealership.

I have talked (talked only, and only with the GMs; done with "shady salespeople," as you say), and these general managers are willing to work with us, given the situation, and even have affordable payments available.

See the big picture. We HAVE to move. We are very well aware of what is going on.

It is your turn to wake up and smell the coffee, before it is burnt. May your home never burn, may you live long and hassle-free.

Kris

Post by Kris » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:38 pm

Merci beau coup!

THANK YOU!!!

Threnody

Post by Threnody » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:44 pm

Just as an aside, let me tell you how much disputing your credit report can help.

When we started out, my score was 620 because of ONE 60 day late on a card belonging to my husband that he listed me as an authorized user on. I have a perfect payment history. We were approved at 8.25% originally. I did the Fico calculator at myfico.com (you have to pay for it, but it's worth it) and it said this was dragging me down by at least 50 points.

After I ripped him a new one for doing that (he cannot finance a loaf of bread his credit is so bad) I disputed just about everything on my credit report. Equifax updated several accounts to reflect lesser or paid in full balances, removed husbands gas card, and removed two "lost card" accounts listed as duplicates.

My beacon is 690 now. We are financing at 5.9% through Freddie Mac, just waiting on the letter to come in. It is as simple as getting your report online and filling out the dispute form.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:47 am

Good for you...I shiver just hinking about you "ripped him a new one for doing that "....hehe...

You make a point here many are unaware of...If you are an authorized user on someone elses credit cards...you are fully responsible for the whole bill and the payment record to go with it....It is true that if you have never charged anything on the card...you can get yourself removed as a user and any credit responsibility is not yours...but...if you have ever used the card and the lender has a copy of your signature..they can hold you responsible for the whole balance and payment record...

Sounds like you got a really good rate...Now what are you going to do with all the money you saved???

Threnody

Post by Threnody » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:59 am

Ah, I wasn't that rough on him - but he knows that he will NEVER link his credit to mine again.

What are we going to do? Why, we're going to put down vinyl floor in the den, hardwood in the living room, and repaint the master bedroom & retreat! :D