Opinions Please....

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Tom

Opinions Please....

Post by Tom » Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:36 pm

I am finalizing a deal on a new home and getting some final figures before I enter battle if you will lol. Two questions:

1. I am asking for a credit on the dealer installed heat pump. I am installing a geothermal unit. The unit the dealer had planned on installin was a 4 Ton Rheem, 12 SEER. He told me my credit would be $2,000. This seems low and perhaps a wholesale credit of a unit that is not installed. What cha think?

2. I asked for a price on doing 2 x 8 floor joists instead of standard 2 x 6. I was quoted $1115 for that upgrade. I just happend to look in a Home Depot circular and the price difference between the two sizes is under $3. I figure that they will use approximately 120 joists on the floor for a 32 x 80. The price difference on my calculator even at $3 difference comes to $360. The dealer told me it was calculated by the linear foot and I can agree with that. It appears that someones calculator is a tad off. Am I not figuring something in here ? Even if the $1100 is accurate, to me it would still be a strong consideration just due to structural integrity.... thanks again for everyones help!

Tom

Bill Fry

Re: Opinions Please....

Post by Bill Fry » Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:53 pm

Most homes come with standard air and furnace built into the base price.You delete that and go with a heat pump you get a credit for the above and then pay the difference for the heat pump.Is this your case?

The price for the wider floor joists does seem a tad high.Remember money is made on all options so they are all inflated a little or lot.Its your call,Go with what you are comfortable with but you can't change this later if you aren't happy.

rmurray

Re: Opinions Please....

Post by rmurray » Thu Feb 27, 2003 7:13 am

1)...dealers buy a/c in large numbers and get pretty good deals..I doubt that he pays any more for this RHEEM unit than that..Actually most brands this size and SEER rating cost a little less..

2)..Every plant charges something different...the saleperson made a mistake by trying to justify the cost...It is what it is and he cannot contol this..he should show you the factory option price list..then you decide...Your calulations are missing a lot...studs are doubled at the ends and under shear walls..also there is the box that goes all the way around..also..I doubt that the lumber sold at Home Depot would meet the quality or moisture requirements of HUD...Lumber in the manufactured home business is somewhat higher in cost because of the highly controled moisture content...My guess is that Home Depot has some more expensive boards available...
Buy the way...many 32 wides are standard with 2x8 joists...
Good Luck