Newbie Needs Help

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Gary

Newbie Needs Help

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:15 pm

I posted this in another forum, but I think its more appropriate here....

I haven't found too many user groups on the internet. But I am glad I found
this one! I have a bunch of questions, because I am looking at purchasing a
manufactured home. Now, from what I understand, mobile & manufactured homes
are a little different in large metro areas, than say the midwest. For
example, I live in the Bay Area - California, specifically Silicon Valley.

And I have been wanting to get my first home (so I can start building equity). But when I saw the big manufactured homes that were available, it knocked my socks off. So, maybe someone out there can help me answer one, some or all of these questions. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

***If you have any experience in the Bay Area, or have owner or currently own a place in the Bay Area, CA PLEASE RESPOND. I would like to talk with you. Ideally, I would like a large lot with a backyard, and something that would be able to fit a 2,000 sq ft house.***

Just FYI, I am looking at a $200,000 manufactured home w/ garage....with a
ton of upgrades (granite countertops, etc).

The model I am looking at is this one:
http://www.advantagehomes.com/silvercrest_M-07.htm its about 2600 sq ft.
What would rent be like for something that size?

Do manufactured homes see appreciation? Or if they depreciate like a used
car, how fast?

Does mobile home lot rent include utilities?

I hear there is no rent control on lots. What is the typical % increase
each year?

Has anyone in this group had a POSITIVE EXPERIENCE with a new, LARGE manufactured home?

If I bought a lot of land, what would it take to make it ready to put my
mobile home on it? I know I need to drill a well and get a septic tank system. But how much would it take (on average) to ready a vacant lot never used for a manufactured/mobile home before?

Does anyone have any experience in the Bay Area?

Also, I have driven through a few mobile home parks here in the area, and
they have ABSOLUTELY NO YARDS. I have a dog and would like somewhat of a
backyard. How feasible is that?

Thanks again, and I appreciate any help you can provide.

Gary

Art Rigsby

Re: Newbie Needs Help

Post by Art Rigsby » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:22 pm

Gary,

I can answer some of your questiions. Up until last year I lived in Hayward and I purchased land in Lake county and put a Silvercrest MH home on the land.

MHs in California will appreciate and that includes those in a park. I have a firend that lives in a park in Pittsburg,CA and he paid 70 grand for a 1977 MH. In most areas of the country MHs in a park will go down in price. Some exceptions.

If you buy land to install the home, your location will determine what utilities you have to put in. Where I live water is available so I only had to put a septic system in and I use propane for water, heat, etc. In some areas all utilities will be available at the street.

I can't really help you with the Mobile Home park questions as I never considered living in one. The only thing I know is what the salesman at Advantage told me, you almost have to buy a old MH home in a lot and have it removed to made room for your MH.

In my area it cost approximately $30-$40,000 dollars to sit a MH on a lot. That includes the foundation, garage, driveway, etc.

I have never seen a MH in the Bay Area sitting on its' on land. Out toward Tracy they may have some but I doubt they have any around the bay. However, I have never looked that closely in the South Bay area.

Art

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:39 pm

Thanks for the info Art. Why do you think that manufactured homes aren't sitting on their own lots?

I mean, why not pick up a 1/4 or 1/3 acre of land, and add all your own utilities. Given a 2,600 sq ft home, it would be well worth it, wouldn't it?

I drive around and see empty lots all over the place! Argh! I just don't understand why this isn't such a big phenomenon!

Thanks.

Mac

Post by Mac » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:19 pm

Why not on muni lots? Nose held high. There are municipal codes that discriminate (within Federal law) about the types of home allowed. In unincorporated county areas, things are less stringent (only place I'd want to live anyway).
I am shocked at the price on that M-07. You must have optioned it through the roof. I can't see paying more than about $120K for it, optioned. In Oregon, that includes delivery and setup.

Gary

Post by Gary » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:58 pm

Mac,

The 200k is just a max for me. If I could find cheaper, hey why not!

Also what do you mean by muni lots? Where would I look or who would I contact for one?

Dan F.

Post by Dan F. » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:59 pm

For lots start searching Realtor.com in the bay area. For the best investment you do not want to put your home in a park, it will not appreciate as fast as on its own land. plus you couldn't get a market rate mortgage unless the home has a permanent foundation and you also own the land or purchase the land with the home. by muni he means in an urban area heavily populated city. I have seen a few, there is one here in town (Napa) that I have driven by for 4 years and never knew it was mfd until I went shopping for one and began to recognize certain builders. So it is possible if they can do it so can you. It may be a battle with building and planning though. I would call and ask them what the rules are for placing a mfd home in the city limits? hope some of this helps

Elaine Ellis

Re: Newbie Needs Help A Nu ??

Post by Elaine Ellis » Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:19 am

I see you replied to Newbie needs help. Regarding Silvercrest Homes. How does Silvercrest compare to Golden West Homes and where in Oregon did you find Silvercrest? Do they have them on display?

Please answer when you have a chance.

Thank you for any input.
Elaine

Mac

Post by Mac » Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:55 am

My opinion only - I thought the Silvercrest were nicer/higher quality than the Golden West I looked at. Santiam Homes have Silvercrest on display. The MH show in Salem is this weekend; I would imagine both will be there. I ended up with a Karsten from Stayton, OR, which we are very happy with so far.

Dan F.

Post by Dan F. » Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:29 pm

I have looked at Silvercrest in CA and they are very expensive. They are in the top five of manufacturers though IMO. Pound for pound my answer is in what I personally bought a Golden West, so i am a little partial to them. You have to remember all builders have an "economy line" and the "cadilac" if you will. So if you compare homes on the same playing field you will get a better idea who has the best home for the money.

For example my home has many standard features, 2x6 exterior, 25year shigles, 30# roof, garage ready, fullsize entry and exit doors, tape and texture sheetrock with rounded corners, excellent insulation package, etc.... It is not fair to compare it to a home that comes with lessor standard features like 2x4 exterior, 15 year shingles, 20 # roof, etc..., especially when looking directly at the price. You need to compare feature for feature.

Another thing to consider while comparing builders, most builders do not build the same exact homes at all their plants. They build according to region, that is why the northwest and places like Florida build better homes, they have potentially more severe conditions. So a model home that is offered by the same builder in their So Cal plant may have less standard construction features from their plant in OR or in other area's. Example The home I purchased is only produced in OR, The majority of CA dealers do not have access to it. In fact when I tried to comparison shop in CA, a dealer told me "they" as in the other guys (meaning the dealer I first saw the model at in CA) "have paid a premium to be able to offer that home, I can't get it even though I would love to get this sale" (this is in CA).

A factor you also need to consider is the Dealer, finding a reputable one who will work with you is almost as important as the home you choose. hope this is not confusing. I get on run and think faster than I can type. e-mail me if you have more specific questions?