Renovate or Replace?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Martha Keltz

Renovate or Replace?

Post by Martha Keltz » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:09 am

I purchased a 1970 Broadmore on its own lot last summer. I love the lot and location, but the trailer is really too large for me, it has 3-bedrooms and 2 baths. I have done quite a bit of repairs myself so far, such as vinyl tiling and interior and porch painting, and have had some furnace, plumbing, roof and floor repairs -- nothing major. Down the line the MH will need some underbelly repair, window replacement and skirting work. It's OK but it's old. I am getting attached to it.

Will it be worth it to me to continue with the repairs and renovation work over time? Can I expect this trailer to last, i.e., 20 more years, keeping up with everything?

I am considering trading it for something much smaller and easier to keep up as I have lived in studio apts. most of my life prior to purchasing this trailer. But will it be more expensive to replace it even with something much smaller than just to keep it up?

Can you please advise -- your advice will be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Martha Keltz