financing

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Bill davis

financing

Post by Bill davis » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:10 am

What can be done to a 1974 MH so that it will meet HUD standards and thus be eligible for a standard mortgage

Allan Brown

Re: financing

Post by Allan Brown » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:00 am

Dear Bill, I have successfully obtained financing on older manufactured homes by bringing them up to current codes and then having the State Inspector for the Dept. Of Housing & Community Developement reinspect thwe home to certify HUD compliance. Major problems if it is a Bendix, Champion, Redman, or low end (Allison) Skyline product. The major changes in the HUID code were Double Drywall in the Water Heater & Furnace compartments (Fire wall), All copper wiring, no slip-joint plumbing connectors, and all 2"x4" studs. Check with the feds as there have been several upgrades to the code (1994 + more) and your State inspector may go for current codes or 1976 codes. You may E-mail me at [email protected] for further discussions. I have been in this business since 1074. Allan Brown

Allan Brown

Post by Allan Brown » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:02 am

Dear Bill, I have successfully obtained financing on older manufactured homes by bringing them up to current codes and then having the State Inspector for the Dept. Of Housing & Community Developement reinspect the home to certify HUD compliance. Major problems if it is a Bendix, Champion, Redman, or low end (Allison) Skyline product. The major changes in the HUID code were Double Drywall in the Water Heater & Furnace compartments (Fire wall), All copper wiring, no slip-joint plumbing connectors, and all 2"x4" studs. Check with the feds as there have been several upgrades to the code (1994 + more) and your State inspector may go for current codes or 1976 codes. You may E-mail me at [email protected] for further discussions. I have been in this business since 1074. Allan Brown

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:52 am

I know you say that you have done this in the past.....but...I doubt this is actually possible...You cannot get HUD albels like this...plus I doubt that the state agency even has the power to do this...You may have pulled the wool over some uninformed lenders eyes....but you did not have a HUD built home...

By the way...the HUD code does NOT specify and particular materials to achieve preformance...The code is a performance based code that specifies the performance of the various functions of the home...the materials used only have to be certified to meet those standards...ex..2x4 studs are not required...there are some home built today with metal studs and others that have 2x3 exterior studs on the long sides of the home all HUD certified..The water heater compartment must have a firewall....whether it is doublewalled sheet rock or some other material is not specified...double walled sheetrock is used by most manufactures because it is cheap.

It would be nearly impossible for this fellow to do what he want to do...