Flood Zone Foundation

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Bill F

Flood Zone Foundation

Post by Bill F » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:03 pm

I am considering placing a new MH on a lot we hope to purchase. The lot lies in a flood zone with a base flood elevation of 12'. The average grade of the lot is at elevation 11 and we plan to establish the FFE at 14.5' to allow ample freeboard.

The dealer we spoke to is familiar with such foundation requirements , but was unable to give me a ballpark figure at this time.

Can anyone offer any help? Thanks, Bill

rmurray

Re: Flood Zone Foundation

Post by rmurray » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:01 am

Putting the home in a flood zone can be full of perils...It does sound like you have done your homework,,,Every state and even local governments have different requirements for placement of homes in flood designated areas...Also..you will have to buy federal flood insurance that might have its own underwriting requirements...The cost will be very localized and would have to come from experienced contractors in the area...I do not blame the dealer for not wanting to guess....sounds like this is not a common set for him and he wants to get his ducks in a row..
"ballpark" numbers always mystify me...do you want a T-ball park...or Yankee Stadium...Much better would be a thorough and site inspected estimate from a qualified contractor...Then you will have exact figures to work with..Good Luck

david spiegler

Post by david spiegler » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:11 am

The question does not present aedequate details to provide a definitive answer. Generally, the foundation design for a manufactures home must be deigned by either a civil or structural engineer . An important question is, what is the water velocity at the proposed site. FEMA has specific design criteria depending on water velocity. I would also comment that soil conditions on a flood plain may require a geotechnical report to establish appropriate foundation design values.And ,there may be more!

Bill Fry

Post by Bill Fry » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:44 pm

Remember that just living in a federal flood zone does not make you severe high risk for flood.There are different zones ranging from beachfront to river flood plains.I live in a flood zone and pay federal flood ins(about 400 a year)I'm about 1 mile from a river and my land is about 11 feet above sea level)Check with your county assesor to see what grade flood zone you live in first,More then likely a standard pad and foundation will suffice.Its usually just a matter of having the homes first living level 12 to 15 feet above sea level or flood level.(this depends on your zone)A survey on your land will tell you where you stand.

david spiegler

Post by david spiegler » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:48 pm

I would also mention several additional items, all components of the motor home below theBFE[base flood elevation] must be on the FEMA list of flood resistant materials and depending on your political jurisdiction special septic systems may be required[ spelled additional money] Call your building department to get further details