Problems with HOM

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Darcyjo

Problems with HOM

Post by Darcyjo » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:45 pm

I have recently purchased a Homes of Merit, 2003 Forest Manor model. The dealer (Lake City Florida) has been a disappointment. He made alot of promises before the sale. This was a cash sale and as soon as he got the money, things changed.
He scheduled the delivery without our knowledge weeks ahead of schedule. We had to scramble to make arrangements(we currently live 350 miles away from the property) The Home arrived with many, many defects (exposed screws, doors won't shut, mismathed patching on molding, staple holes throughout, molding gaps throughout, front door doesn't close to the point you can see daylight. I have been in contact with the dealer and he passes the buck to the factory even though he told us that we should contact him for the first year of warranty and HOM thereafter. When I manage to get return calls--rarely, I have been told it will be weeks!!!.
I did a lot of reaserch into HOM vs Palm Harbor vs Site built vs Log cabin. This is our retirement home.
I am not so sure we made the right decision now.
Any advice or similar stories would be greatly appreciated.
Thnx.

Jerry Fortner

Re: Problems with HOM

Post by Jerry Fortner » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:10 pm

Darcyjo
Sorry to hear you are having problems with your HOM. I too am looking at HOM,Palmharbor, and a local outfit Horton. From what I saw of HOM it looked pretty good. My wife is leaning toward Palm Harbor but I like the integrity of the Horton Home. We are going to the factory of both. I bought the books sold on this board by Randy. The one thing he discussed about closing the deal especially if it is a cash deal is to hold back money as if it was a construction loan. That way you are in control during all phases. My deal will also be cash and it will be my retirement home also. If the dealer won't deal that way then I won't deal. Good luck with your problems. Maybe you can get the BBB or Manufactured Housing Assoc of Fla in on your plight. Again good luck

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:49 pm

This is a very unusual mention of this dealer....C&G Homes is the largest HOM dealer and is one of the oldest dealers for HOM in North Florida...

The Forest Manor is the beginning range home from HOM....but they are usually pretty well done for the price range...Try to get to Mike Collins...his son...or Kip Gardener (the G)....They ahve a long reputation of good service in the area...Maybe they have an employee causing some trouble...

If none of this works...call directly to the plant and give them a list of your problems..They will not go to your home unless you are there (many dealers will not also...could this be the problem????)...but I am sure they will schedule repairs once you are back to town...

Carol

Post by Carol » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:44 am

Darcyjo,
My State has a MH Recovery Trust Fund for consumers having problems with MH dealers. Dealers pay into this fund. If your dealer does not take care of these problems, you may want to check with your State's Department of Labor or the Governor's office to see if this help is available. MH dealers cannot just do whatever they want - there are laws and regulations governing the operation their business.

Luke Wenneberg

Post by Luke Wenneberg » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:49 pm

We moved into a Homes of Merit Atlantic series in October of 2002 and have been nothing but impressed with their customer service. Part of all Homes of Merit houses is "Merit Care" which we had 2 guys come from the factory and spend a full 8 hours busting their butts to make sure every seam, seal, door, etc was perfect. I even metioned to them that the toilet paper holder was a little high for big rolls of toilet paper in the master bedroom, and they moved it! They put all new molding in the master bedroom, because one door needed wider molding and they redid the whole room to match. If your deal is uncooperative, I would be calling the factory.