Need some input....

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Tom

Need some input....

Post by Tom » Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:05 pm

Just a few questions for yall. I have been reading a great deal here and find this forum very helpful. I am moving closer to trying to finalize a deal on a Homes of Merit House, so here goes...

1. From what I have read, OSB is a decent product. I have been quoted an additional $700 for a plywood flooring option and honestly, I cannot see paying for that. Opinoins ?

2. I am going with tape and textured walls throughout the house and rounding the corners. The dealer informed me that the house will require perimeter blocking... how does this differ from any other form of a standard setup?

3. The floor joists are 2 x 6 and to me, that seems sufficient and I have not quoted out a 2 x 8. Is there really a big advantage ? Granted there is approximately 25% more product.

4. I am in the Tallahassee, FL area and will also be doing a large two or three car metal garage. There is only one company I have found locally. Anyone know of other dealers within say 75 miles or so?

5. Lastly has anyone had to deal with getting warranty related repairs from Homes of Merit after any length of time and if so, what kind of service did you get?

Ok, enough for this post. I am sure I will find more lol.

Thanks
Tom

Bill Fry

Re: Need some input....

Post by Bill Fry » Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:11 am

T&G OSB is just as good as plywood.Iwould not hesitate to use it.
If the house is on poured footers it should be able tobe set up like any other which is commonly double stacked block piers every 6 or 8 ft per section and down the marriage line.Perhaps HOM has a differnt requirement.
I would not skimp on the floor joists.2 by 8's should not be that much more expensive.The less bounce in your floor the happier you will be.A floor with 2 by 6 floor joists is common in manufactured homes but not really in any other modern home construction.There usually 2 by 10 or 12's
Can't help you with the garage sub.
I think murray sells HOM,so he can chime in with the last question.

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:59 am

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction..
1)..I think the plywood option (3/4 inch tongue and groove) includes the 2x8 floor joists...If not..ask about the exterior package option which includes both 2x8 and plywood and other items you may already have..as a package the price is lower...
2)...ask to see a set up manual...the home must be set to these requirements...with HOM I believe with tape and texture they require poured footers (which you should want anyway) and perimeter blocking at the doors and large windows..We set all of our homes this way and the cost is small...The perimeter blocking should not be an extra cost....
3)...If you are looking at the Bay Manor the floor joists are on 16 inch centers and 2x6 is fine..Most other manufacturers use 24 inch centers and the homes do well...
4)...The best garages are custom built with the same siding and roofing materials as the home...far better looking than the metal ones...we recently started to offer them...a well designed attached garage...2 cars about 600 sq feet costs about 10K...or about 60/mo in todays market...we have even found that they add a lot to the appraisal...HOM sell many modular homes from the Lake City plant with locally added garages...You might call them and ask who they might know that will contract one...Here is a picture of one at the plant... http://www.homes-of-merit.com/model_dca ... 7-_Ext.htm
5)...Hopefully you will take this for what it is...I will not be getting a commission on this sale...They are the best in the industry...This is a dealers manufacturer...dealer who buy manufactured homes prefer HOM...even if they are not a HOM dealer themselves...many dealers have HOM offices...the 5 year "protection" plan is real...They do live up to their obligations and in a timely manor...and we are over 260 miles from the plant...could only be better for you...

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:13 am

Thanks Murray. Yes it is based on the Bay Manor specs etc. I will check on the pricing as you suggest. I have a 3 page list already lol. The one thing yall have taught me is to be very thorough. The dealer has been great so far and answered all my questions. He said you seem very thorough. I told him ya aint seen nothing yet. Thanks for the info and I am going to call the factory and see about the garages. That photo is really good looking and I did like it. I will also check with local contractors etc. Commission ? Hell ya should be getting some with all the help I have gotten from you over time from reading your posts and answers to my questions!

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:08 pm

When you call the plant....ask for Mark Klinger...the sales manager...tell him he owes Bob Murray a little spiff......lol

Tom

Post by Tom » Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:12 pm

Consider it a done deal lol..... hey worth a shot right ?