Insulation

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Shauna

Insulation

Post by Shauna » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:26 pm

Hello! We are about to buy a mobile home, but we have a lot of questions and concerns (it will be our first home together). Number one is I'm wondering about insulation. The saleswoman we are talking to said it would be zone 2 and I'm not sure what that means. Any information on this would really be helpful! Appreciate it!
~Shauna Wells

rmurray

Re: Insulation

Post by rmurray » Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:39 am

The best would be a Energy Star home...Check out www.energystar.gov web site..

You cannot spend too much on energy savings...Zone 2 is the minimum require in part of the country..There are probably plenty of options available...Good Luck

Marty Peltier

Post by Marty Peltier » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:09 am

Shauna, are you buying a "mobile home" or a Manufactured Home?

Shauna

Post by Shauna » Fri Feb 07, 2003 9:29 am

I wasn't sure there was a difference, but I guess it's a mobile home. It's a 2003 Town and Country doublewide.
~Shauna

Marty Peltier

Post by Marty Peltier » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:06 am

I am not trying to be a smartas_, I am just pointing out that most people still do consider these homes "mobile homes".

A mobile home is a trailer with the wheels removed, right?

Now "Manufactured Homes" are built to exacting standards considered by some to be as good or better then a "site built" or "stick built" home.

It is increasingly important to change the old mindset whenever possible.

As an example, I would love to build a manufactured home on my land in rural Michigan but my appraisals came back well short of my current choice; A SMALLER site built home.

If the appraisers and the mortgage people would look past the paradyme that manufactured homes are just nice looking mobile homes, I could/would build a larger (for the money) manufactured home with all the eyecandy.

Bill Fry

Post by Bill Fry » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:37 pm

A mobile home is considered a pre HUD home or pre 1976.However theres a lot of manufactured homes built in the 80's that are HUD but are junk..whatever..You yourself cannot 'build a manufactured home,unless you order it from the factory with the options they allow,all buiders are different in this regard.To some people anything that comes in on wheels will be sub standard and be deamed a trailor.Thats an paradigmn thats just hard to change.Manufactured homes like any other product range from the low end to high end in term of quality,you just have to do your homework when buying one.

Shauna

Post by Shauna » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:26 pm

I didn't think you were trying to be rude. I just really don't know the difference. I don't really care what it's called bc I think it's really nice. I loved ordering it and getting to pick out everything. It's being built right now and will be here at the beginning of March. I'm excited and just trying to find out everything I can about them. Also, if anyone has any landscaping ideas, we have a .5 acre of dirt to work with!! LOL! Let me know!
~Shauna