electricity

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

jimmy ainsworth

electricity

Post by jimmy ainsworth » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:28 pm

hi i am jimmy and i recently purchased a 2003 28x80 home of legend multi section home.my question is i am noticeing when my central heat kicks on or some other major appliance,stove,a-c,or even my vacum cleaner my lights dim for the entire time the heat is on, then when the heat kicks off the lights brighten back up. i have talked to my servce dept where i purchased the home and they say it perfectly normal.by the way my home is total electric.i have checked the obvious stuff like making sure all the lugs were tight in my service panel and at my service pole.i used 2.0 wire for the service panel hook up from my pole is that heavy enough? should i be concerned about this. i am thinking of getting an electrian company to come out and just check everyting out.now the lights dont dim very bad but it is very noticeable.any help would be appreciated. THANKS

rmurray

Re: electricity

Post by rmurray » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:40 am

First..I would be talking to your electric company..they need to be sure you have a large enough transformer on their ploe coming to you...This might very well be the cause..If this location had a gas house on it in the past..This is likely to be the problem...The electric company is obligated to deliver consistant voltage to your home..

I cannot believe the plant said this is normal...it is not..

You should be concerned...many electric appliance...NOT the least of which is your computer...need consistant voltage to operate properly...improper voltage can cause permanent damage to some electrical equipment..That dimming is a drop in the voltage going to the fixtures...

ROBERT

Re: electricity

Post by ROBERT » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:55 am

If this problem was noticed at the initial installation then in all likelihood your problem is insufficient ground. Manufactured homes required a four lead power supply cable consisting of two hot leads and a separate ground and neutral wires.
If this problem started after a few months of use then likely your problem is oxidation of your connections. Check all your connections and make sure that the electrical company used NO-OX (oxidation inhibitor) at all your connections whether they be cu to cu, or aluminum to copper, in high humidity coastal areas this is usually the primary cause of voltage lowering when appliances kick in. Also have your compressor on your refrigerator checked, an older compressor in need of repair or one that is heating up would require more amps at startup causing your lights to dim.
If all four wires were installed and all connections are tight and not oxidized in any manner then call your local electrical utility and have them check your supply line to your home. There are other things that could be causing your voltage drop, but these are the most common. Good luck,