manufactured or modular

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

chris

manufactured or modular

Post by chris » Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:17 pm

I am constantly asked the difference between a manufactured and modular home. I would like to know if there are any links or information which show the differences. My view on the differences are the HUD and UBC building codes and the support framing underneath the home. Modulars have the metal frame removed while manufactured homes retain the metal framing for support. Is this a correct interpretation of the differences?

Thank you for your time,

chris

Ryan

Re: manufactured or modular

Post by Ryan » Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:42 am

Yes metal frame for manufactured, and wood frame for modular, check with your zoning to see which one you need, modular homes tend to run about 10 grand more than the manufactured, however i believe the steel frame provides better foundation and support, you also can get steel frame set up for basement installation

rmurray

Re: manufactured or modular

Post by rmurray » Tue Jan 28, 2003 11:17 am

All modulars are built to state building codes and differ by the state...Metal frames for instance are on modulars in SC and FL..but not in GA...

You will have to compare your state code to the HUD code...but modulars can be as nice or basic as you want..