home values

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

JGN

Re: The lack of WRAP...

Post by JGN » Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:14 am

Mrs X: Where I live all of the dealers work land/home packages. Most of the land is out a ways but it can be found unless you live in a large city and want to stay in their limits.
PH builds a nice home but it is expensive per sf. I don't believe they make a 2x4 interior home and most of their homes are 90". The full house they advertise is has more standard features, mostly appliances, than their standard home. I have been looking for quite some time and have the same frustration as you. Make a check list of what you want in a home, list most important features first, and after looking at models interview the salesperson don't let them interview you, amazing how little some of them know about their product. Use your check list and compare what you want to what you get. You may not be able to get everything you want so make sure the fluff is last on the list and quality costs but pays in the end so if you have to settle for better quality but smaller it is a good trade off.
I am still leaning toward independent dealers because they seem to know more about their product and they have more incentive to take care of you after the sale that a direct salesman but no matter who you choose check the BBB.

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Sun Jan 26, 2003 12:06 pm

Mrs. X,

I do have the spec sheet on the Greystone. There is no OSB or plywood
wrap listed. What is listed is "Greenguard Ext. Sheathing w/ 1.2 R-Value."

Next time you go to PH, check the side of the home that has no siding
on it.

You're also right about the frustration of looking at these homes. I have now
started going through the various websites with a list of what I am looking
for and checking for them.

So far the Pinnacle by Patriot seems to be a good choice for me. Not only
have I found their construction to be top notch, they make homes that look
like houses, and cost about 10K less than a PH.

good luck

tonya

Post by tonya » Wed Jan 29, 2003 9:16 pm

the cavalier we are looking at has the ceramic in the bathrooms and all that stuff..i have two concerns #1 what is a power house? #2 my main concern is the center joist. someone told me to definatly check that out and the dealer would most likely lie to me about it! is there any where on the web or a book ...anything THAT I CAN READ UP ON MORE BEFORE I REALLY CONSIDER THIS HOME. any responses that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!