Here are some opinions on MDF from....sm

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Myra

Here are some opinions on MDF from....sm

Post by Myra » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:43 am

the TOH forums. I assume from reading these that there are differing qualities of MDF, and that some good quality kinds are well-suited for mouldings and interior doors.

"--- using it for doors, mouldings, cabinets, etc. Not outdoor use"

Those are exactly the uses for which it is best suited.
It is a manufactured product -- Medium Density Fibreboard, made from wood fibre and a binder, exactly like hardboard, and is an accepted building material all over the world.
Because of its smooth surface it is superior to ply or timber for non-structural painted surfaces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jlstarks - 03:31pm Dec 31, 2002 EST (#4 of 5)
I am sure that Ian would agree that all MDF is not created equally. I have used it many times for interior trim work. The latest was base molding and crown for a large bath reno. I do prefer Mahogony and Oak over MDF, but the cost consideration for MDF vs. finger jointed pine, that will be painted anyway, forces me to use MDF in some applications. There are exterior MDF trims available but in the exterior case M stands for maximum not medium density. I have not seen it personally but did look at some photos and literature on a website for the material. I do see some brands of MDF swell badly when wet. As for strength, it is so dense that a pilot hole must be drilled first to take a finishing nail driven by hand. Once painted well it certainly looks like solid wood.