Standing Seam Metal Roof

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

Bob

Standing Seam Metal Roof

Post by Bob » Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:30 pm

I am planning on installing a metal roof on my 28 X 44 manufactured home. I got several referrals in my area. I was concerned about the shallow 3/12 roof pitch, but I was told it was still possible. Any comments would greatly be appreciated. Any questions I should ask while they are inspecting the home? Thanks

Myra

Re: Standing Seam Metal Roof

Post by Myra » Sat Jan 04, 2003 11:21 am

In my opinion, all MH would look better with standing seam metal roofing. I didn't realize there might be a problem because of the roof pitch. Why would this be?

I actually had thought of asking if the manufacturer I am considering would do metal roofing as an option, but I never have seen it mentioned on any of these forums or on any manufacturers' web sites, so I kind of just figured it wasn't a factory option. Am I right? (This is directed to anyone, not just Bob.)

I suppose one problem would be noise from rain, with the low roof pitch and all. I wouldn't like that...some people do, but I'm not one of them. Hadn't thought of that before just now. :-)

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:01 pm

Metal roofs are available from your favorite builder..Southern...
They can also be had from Horton, Indies, River Birch.,..and I am sure many others in the SE..

JohnnyJ

Post by JohnnyJ » Sat Jan 04, 2003 10:06 pm

I had a metal roof priced out on a on an Indies 28X80. They wanted $3500 for it.
A tad pricey if you ask me, but you won't be replacing it. 30 year shingles are
probably a good alternative, and will not last forever. You can probably get at
least 25 years from a 30 year shingle though (LOL.)

rmurray

Post by rmurray » Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:53 am

2 things...
The metal roofs offered by these manufacturers...including Indies..is NOT the lifetime warranty item that some think it is...It only comes with the 1 year warranty of the factory..

second....Indies is NOT standard with 30 year shingles...They are standard with 20 year shingles...You can option 25 or 30 year architectual shingles for about $ 1200....