lookinf at older home advice needed

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

mdc10264

lookinf at older home advice needed

Post by mdc10264 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:53 am

hello,
I am new to the group and hope this post is in the appropriate place,

I am a senior (early 60s) and on a limited budget and want to live out the next 20 years (or however long I have) without worry of having huge bills. I managed to do ok and save enough so that IF I am careful, I should not have financial worries.
I currently live in a manufactured home on leased land & I am getting tired of the lot rent increases. Although as of now the rent is not too bad, but it goes up and up yearly,
I am considering moving into a co-op OR getting a new manufactured home on my own land. I want my mortgage or co-op payments with insurance to be under $400 a month, I have the resources to do that only IF I buy a older home with land in a co-op or find a piece of land cheap in a good area.
I found a well cared for 1983 home that has new windows, floors, appliances ,windows, a newer AC and the siding outside was redone so it resembles a newer model home. It has great curb appeal and looks new & modern.
I could get the home with the co-op for $140,000. Maybe a bit less as we try to present an offer. I can afford it BUT the fear is the age of the home, I would get it completely inspected. I know the plumbing if not already upgraded should be upgraded, the electrical needs to be checked & the vapor barrier under the home as well.
I wonder how much the home's insulation has degraded. It has an 11-year-old roof that I would replace because I am not comfortable with the shingle roof being able to last much longer.
I would want this to be the last move I would make IF Live in this home for 20 more years it will be 60 years old & I have no idea if a mobile home built in the 80s can last that long? Buying a new one and getting land would be a struggle financially because these new ones are over $150,000 then add your land & fees it becomes challenging.
I look forward to having a home that would allow me to live and pay well under $400 a month. It would relieve so much stress BUT is buying a home like this a nightmare? With my pension and social security I can save every month and live comfortable doing this, OR am I missing something?
Before I make the offer & pay for the home inspection, I was hopeful I can get some advice. Oh, last but not least, INSURANCE. I don't want to not be able to get insurance and then lose my home due to fire, hurricane or wind.
At this time I was quoted just over 2 grand a year for coverage that would give me $100,000 in total coverage that includes contents & the home its self. BUT what if that changes as the home gets even older, a hurricane comes AGAIN and I get dropped.

I want to make a sound decision I wish I could afford a new home BUT being over 300,000 it is out of reach and even with the down payments I would be stretching my money VERY THIN,
housing is ridiculously expensive.

priceylake

Re: lookinf at older home advice needed

Post by priceylake » Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:20 pm

According to your story, this house is too old to upgrade in the long term. The water pipe system and the roofing roofing should be repaired and renovated, its cost is quite large. And not long -term guarantee for later.

lauryfriese

Re: lookinf at older home advice needed

Post by lauryfriese » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:06 am

I wish I could buy a new house.