Gutted a 1983 Titan 14x56

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

whats_that_do

Gutted a 1983 Titan 14x56

Post by whats_that_do » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Long time lurker, first-time poster here. We fully appreciate any and all assistance {expert and/or otherwise!} for our current level of cluelessness!

The SO and I recently purchased a 1983 Titan manufactured home and it turns out that we are amazing gutters - we had the thing down to the exterior studs in no time flat. Now though we are not sure which direction to go in first. Keeping in mind that we live in an area that has *MAYBE* three solid months of above-freezing temperatures left we know that we need to get our rears in gear to at least make it livable on the inside before autumn comes (we are currently in a 2007 toy hauler with no running water).

We do not have an unlimited budget for this renovation and finding professionals that we can count on (besides an extremely expensive plumber) is next to impossible, so we are DIY'ing everything we possibly can. SO has an entire shed full of tools (and he proudly knows how to use all of them) and I can follow directions. :lol: We have a vision for the place and it seems well within our grasp - and ability. We have no HOA or any local building regulations to worry about. We are about two hours from the well-known home improvement box stores and will have to rent a truck to get the necessary supplies to the manufactured home.

Things we know need to happen:
  • run electric where we actually want/need it --- bro-in-law is an electrician so after paying for the parts a few bottles of Jack takes care of his 'bill' ;)
  • reinstall shower stall after figuring out how to get the drain below floor level as otherwise SO will hit his head on the ceiling while showering
  • install washer/dryer water hookups, drain(s), and electric where former linen closet was
  • move toilet about 18" to the right so when we reframe the bathroom, the door can be between the shower and toilet (and so the person getting in/out of the shower doesn't have to trip over the person on the toilet)
  • reinsulate the exterior walls --- budget-wise we can afford closed cell spray foam up to 2" and then fiberglass the rest of the space (if recommended)
  • hang new drywall --- taped, mud, etc., and looking at the mold-guard panels
  • install some sort of temporary 'siding' to get us through to next 'summer' (we do not have the time nor the money to take care of it this year)
  • reinsulate the ceiling --- we have no idea what all this will entail as we have not removed the ceiling panels yet
  • replace ceiling panels with drywall
  • reinsulate the floor --- again, we have no idea what all this will entail as we have not removed the existing subfloor yet
  • replace subfloor --- we were entertaining the thought of using marine grade plywood, however, due to cost limitations, we are going to have to use the tongue and groove OSB
  • have professional install new on-demand propane hot water
  • reframe bathroom area, bro-in-law handles electric, insulate interior walls to aid with soundproofing, hang drywall
  • install new flooring --- going with a waterproof heavy-duty click and lock laminate that we are opting to NOT float and instead glue down (custom kitchen cabinets are coming eventually, don't want a transition strip, etc.)
  • paint interior
  • have professional install new direct wall vent propane heater
  • start the 'make a house a home' list --- window trims, cellular shades, custom kitchen cabinets, floor to ceiling shelves, etc.
I am one of those people who throws everything - including the kitchen sink - at something and it seems to always be 'more than necessary'. Knowing that's my MO, I am thinking that the following is overkill, however, I don't know how much would/should be enough: we need to remove the original siding and the cement backer board siding that was installed incorrectly on top of the original stuff. Well, currently that will leave the entire home open to the elements and that is obviously no bueno. Once the electric is all in place and we cover the outlets with tape {spray foam insulation prep}, should we do a layer or wrap or sheeting from the inside, rip off the layers of siding, remove the two boarded-up windows and frame those areas accordingly, do the 2" of closed cell spray foam insulation from the outside, use the spray foam in cans to get any areas that we missed/couldn't do with the larger applicators, put up a layer of sheeting and tape it accordingly, put up some sort of temporary siding/plywood/something, and then wrap with Tyvek and tape it accordingly to get us through the winter (where negative temps and lots of snow are more common than not)? Then when that is all done, we hang the drywall inside and go from there with the interior work.

I can post images if anyone would find them helpful and/or if you just want to laugh at our expense of what we decided to undertake with this project. :D Huge thanks in advance for anyone who is willing to reply!