Why Water Sub-metering?

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

MetronSubmeters

Why Water Sub-metering?

Post by MetronSubmeters » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking forward to being part of a very fast growing industry and quite frankly, one of the best kept secrets in America. Recently i was asked the question by a park manager in Arizona, why should we do water sub-meters when we include their water as part of their rent. The answer was easy for me to articulate and went something like this:

Me: Well, let me ask you this, your park has over 400 lots right?
Manager: Yes
Me: How much is the average water bill to the park from the utilities company?
Manager: Depends on time of year, but anywhere from $16,000 to $20,000 per month, but we factor that into their lot rent.
Me: Imagine not only getting rid of that $200,000 a year water expense to the park, but making a park improvement, ability to find leaks, drips with data points delivered to a portal every 24 hours. Not only will this be fair billing to your tenants based on actual usage per tenant, it will automatically steer water conservation initiatives by your tenants because they no longer have an open gate of endless water usage.
Manager: Sounds great but I don't think our owners would be interested in that.
Me: Why would you say that, I'm sure they would love to be able to buy a new Ferrari each year by saving the huge water bill and increasing the parks value, increasing cap rates and finding out what leaks they have on their infrastructure in order to repair damage.
Manager: Like I said, they probably wouldn't be interested
Me: Can you put me in touch with them so I can discuss value proposition of implementing water sub-metering?
Manager: No but thanks for calling.

The point of this story is quite simple, the manager really didn't care about saving the owner money, really didn't care about transparency of water usage for the person who lives alone paying for others water who might have 4 plus people using substantially more water than that one person.

The bottom line is a simple economics equation for a park owner who is flipping the bill hoping they allocated enough fluff in the rent to cover the ever growing expense to water usage. However, all that being said, if the owners never get information passed onto them from a park manager informing them of the newest, innovative products and best practices occurring in the industry, then those park owners could be flushing money down the drain without even knowing it.

I hope you found this interesting, at minimal, informative and educational.

If you want to learn more about water conservation, sub-metering or simply want a cost analysis done on your park, please don't hesitate to contact me (Bill) or anyone here at https://metronfarnier.com/submetering/, we are passionate about our technology and conserving water, even at one drip at a time.