Help! Replacing tub and styrofoam base

What do you want to know about manufactured homes? The worlds greatest collection of expert advice on buying, installing, maintaining and repairing manufactured homes.

sarahr2524

Help! Replacing tub and styrofoam base

Post by sarahr2524 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 am

I am struggling to find a styrofoam base for under our tub. We had a tub that cracked and we took it out and there was a styrofoam base. We had to throw that out because it was unusable and damaged from water leaking. Now I cannot find where to find something comparable to the styrofoam base. I would be fine with having to purchase a larger piece and cutting it but I can't find anything similar!! PLEASE HELP!!! I've attached a picture I found online of what I am talking about!!

Mommaof5

Re: Help! Replacing tub and styrofoam base

Post by Mommaof5 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 pm

If your tub replacement was a metal or fiberglass tub (like what you would buy for a stick built home) then you should not need it. I just finished replacing the plastic tub that came with our home with a metal tub from Lowes. I asked them about the foam, and the answer I got was crazy simple: the foam is there to support the plastic because will become brittle after time and crack. With a metal or newer fiberglass tub, your tub is already very durable and therefore unless you just want it, it isn't really necessary.

Now if you have a hole in your subflooring where your tub was located, you may need to replace that. An older home that I used to live in had that problem. I just put down a new sheet of plywood and coated both sides with Thompson's Water Seal to protect it from any possible water leaks that may happen in the future.

I am just a do-it-yourselfer, but the tub I replaced 15 years ago is still in great shape and has never had any problems. I saw that you hadn't had any responses and thought I would share my experience in the hopes that maybe I could be of some help.